Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - Teachers/Teaching

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Dear NSCers,

Against my better judgement, I have decided to embark on a career in teaching (hopefully). Would any teacher, whom is willing to part with some advice, please let themselves be known or drop me a PM?

Thanks in advance!

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
What would you like to know?
Like any job there are good and bad points.
It is incredibly intense during time time and can be incredibly frustrating.
On the other hand the holidays are great (although you will be working through them it can be done in your own time) and when children get what you are teaching it is incredibly rewarding.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I organised an event two weeks ago, called 'A Few Good Men', to inspire more men to get into working with children, such as in teaching, and to provide support for those looking into this. It was very well attended, 20 men showed up and participated, and I am in the process of sketching out the next steps to provide ongoing support over the next six months.

One of the things that became clear is that lots of men do want to get into teaching - some find it a struggle to get a response when they offer to volunteer at schools and most would welcome support from other men going through the process or who are experienced teachers now.

Would this be of interest to you?

See A Few Good Men - More Men Working With Young Children

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Mrs Vegster is a teacher, don't go in to it unless you have

a, an account at Majestic Wines

b, a good liver

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Good luck with this, not a job I would fancy, I have enough trouble training adults. The problem with teaching is not the kids but the fact that they have parents with a scant concept of discipline.

yorkgull

Sep 18, 2005
the north
Good luck. I have been a primary teacher for 14 years.Love it.Would be happy to answer any questions.We could do with more male primary teachers!

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
My missus is a science teacher (up to A level chemistry). Would be happy to pass on any requests for advice BoF

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My other half is a secondary school English teacher. Apart from working until 10pm at home each night planning and marking, she'd thoroughly recommend it as a lifestyle choice, and as said above, a full working liver is a pre-requisite.

:cheers:

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I teach too- secondary maths. Are you doing a PGCE? Or a four year teaching degree? Or a GTP? Primary or secondary? Any particular subject?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Good luck with this, not a job I would fancy, I have enough trouble training adults. The problem with teaching is not the kids but the fact that they have parents with a scant concept of discipline.

What they haven't mentioned is the full CRB check, which would automaticly exclude you, me and a third of the male population who have convictions.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What they haven't mentioned is the full CRB check, which would automaticly exclude you, me and a third of the male population who have convictions.

Hate to tell you but I passed a CRB check last year no problem.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Very few jobs around and lots of graduates coming out of Universities mean that a significant number of qualified teachers are ending up without a job in teaching.

I am sure there was something related to this in the news the other day to back this up.

With government cut backs only just beginning to bite, it is only going to get more difficult to get a job.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
My mate has recently started teaching at Coldean Junior School, last week he had two special guests in the class. Craig Noone and Ashley Barnes. It has it's perks :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here