Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T PC Hardward Help

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Is there an easy way of finding out what kind of motherboard I have in regard to socket numbers? My motherboard really needs replacing but I want to keep the processer etc. so really need the same type of motherboard. At least I think thats the case.

Any help is really appreciated.

Ta :albion2:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Might be in Control Panel and system

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Go to www.cpuid.com and download the CPU-Z (a free utility), it will tell you everything you need to know, and more besides

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Right Guys, Another question for you. Not sure if anybody will be able to answer it though.

It seems my motherboard is a Socket A (462). Does anybody know what the best Socket A motherboard on the market is & how much it is likely to cost. I realise that it is a little bit old so "on the market" may not be the best phrase to use.

Kenneth Wattle

Aug 31, 2007
Right Guys, Another question for you. Not sure if anybody will be able to answer it though.

It seems my motherboard is a Socket A (462). Does anybody know what the best Socket A motherboard on the market is & how much it is likely to cost. I realise that it is a little bit old so "on the market" may not be the best phrase to use.

Further to my last post on this topic I feel as if I should provide a sensible answer...!

Try somewhere like http://www.microdirect.co.uk or http://www.dabs.com, when you go to the motherboard section they list them in socket type, so you can find the bit you need.

Alternatively it is not all that expensive to buy motherboard+processor now. Places like http://www.novatech.com do processor+motherboard bundles so you know they're going to be compatible.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Why do you think you need a new motherboard? No offense, but your question indicates that you don't know very much about computers.

I usually only replace them when upgrading to a new processor type. The one time that wasn't the reason was when my brothers computer wasn't working and after numerous tests the motherboard was the only thing left to change (it had an inbuilt graphics card which may have been a factor).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Be careful, Socket A covered a massive time period and early Socket A processors are not compatible with later motherboards - they fit in but don't work. Also, your RAM and graphics may not be compatible either.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Your best bet is to call a reputable seller such as Scan (www.scan.co.uk) and tell them that you need a mothervoard that will work with your processor. I just hope you know what processor you have of course. It might help to know what sort of RAM you have too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here