Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T laptop help

lewesgull

Jan 3, 2010
Hi, hoping someone can help here

i had an old laptop on windows vista that went wrong and I have now replaced vis insurance company. The new one though is windows 7

When they did this, as all photos of my children were on the old hardrive they have sent me this with a usb connection to try and import the photos to the new laptop.

There are no instructions on how to do this and am looking for help guidance to save me having to take it to a shop

any ideas?

thanks

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
I don't see why you can't get a USB cable - connect the drive and the laptop - drive should show on 'Computer' - select all - copy and paste into C:drive in a new folder.

Should be as simple as that fingers crossed...or am I missing something

lewesgull

Jan 3, 2010
cheers, yes thats what i thought but it doesn't seem to work. Under "computer" on start menu the drive is listed, with 5mb used, I copy and paste it to c drive and then file appears. I open that and it says file empty,

think i will need to take it in, i am by no means an expert and am wary of wiping the potos altogether

thanks

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
That will teach you a vital lesson......REMEMBER TO BACK UP ALL VALUABLE FILES...

open the drive first and copy paste only what you need to save.....dont forget the old hard drive will contain all the programme and .exe files...and you dont want to mess up your new pc do u?

lewesgull

Jan 3, 2010
That will teach you a vital lesson......REMEMBER TO BACK UP ALL VALUABLE FILES...

isn't that the truth!!

I'm getting nowhere fast though, opening the f drive (where the 5mb used is stated) it appears on, then goes to a folder they have called recover. I click on this and it says there are no files.

thanks anyway

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
5mb? and not 5gb?

5 mb is only enough for about 1 photo....( maybe 2) certainly not hundreds

although if u can make the drive a slave, there is lots of free software available that will recover deleted photos, one is RECUVA

if you are not sure and the photos mean a lot to you I suggest take it to a small independent pc repairer...NOT PC WORLD

lewesgull

Jan 3, 2010
5mb? and not 5gb?

5 mb is only enough for about 1 photo....( maybe 2) certainly not hundreds

although if u can make the drive a slave, there is lots of free software available that will recover deleted photos, one is RECUVA

if you are not sure and the photos mean a lot to you I suggest take it to a small independent pc repairer...NOT PC WORLD

sorry yeah my mistake gb. They are important and i think i'm out of my depth here so will as you suggest get someone to do it for me

thanks for your time

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
You can't do usb to usb. you have to take out the old hard drive and put it in an external docking station, then connect it via the usb port on your new laptop and it will show up as an external hard drive. then you can transfer your photos and any other stuff you want to, very easy to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here