Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T - iPod help

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Guys and girls - I have a minor problem with my iPod. When I import a CD, every now and again a slight click, or tapping noise appears in the tune, repeating every couple of seconds.

It doesn't happen very often, and appears to be restricted to the odd individual track instead of a whole CD. Its only a minor thing - just wondered if anyone else had the same prob?

Also, when using iTunes on Windows, are the tracks automatically converted to AAC format?

Thanks

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
rather then open another thread ,has anyone got confirmation on date and price of the mini ipod

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Faldo - are you ripping CD's to MP3 or do they just go straight onto the iPod?

Braders - April for the Mini, you can oder from the US and my mate got one last week!!! Also my IT boss is going to Malaysia so I'll probably get him to get me one from there.....mmmmmm cheap!

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
I am ... this ... close to buying an ipod...are they worth it? and do I need a boss computer cos that'll set me back a few bob. What's all this about putting it on straight fromt the CD?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Vinyl - you can encode songs direct from CD's onto the iPod & many other MP3 players, but sometimes the bitrate can cause sound problems such as "clipping" or sharp sudden peaks in volume. I find it best to burn to MP3's on the PC using Error Correction then copy MP3's onto the walkman (I got a HD-500 20gig player). No problems with sound at all this way.

iPod's definately worth it, Mini iPods hold upto 4gig whereas the large ones got from 20gig upwards

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk - for all your MP3 needs, they have great customer service and TONS of MP3 players including Car ones! Will be stocking Mini iPods in April

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
yeah I've had my eye on the 20gb ipod for a while now. Think it's better than the mini. Plus I've noticed that on the offical Apple ipod site they're doing free customised laser engraving on the back. I was thinking about getting

Vinyl Richie
100% Lizard

I haven't got an MP3 burner (how much or does ipod throw in summin free?) and what's all this noise about no WMA capacity......does it really matter?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
not sure about WMA stuff as I use purely MP3 format.

MP3 burner, get <cough-download-cough> Winamp or MusicMatch they are both good. Not sure what the iTunes software does as I dont have an iPod but i'd guess that it organises your MP3 players, transfer/delete songs etc and may rip cd's too but not sure.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
thanks mate

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
On mine I download the CD into iTunes (which is either MP3 or AAC) and from there onto the iPod.

Its possible that its the PC I'm using. Its a pretty old Dell laptop. It all works fine, but the hard drive is only about 8 gig so i keep having to clear the tunes.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
what bitrate and hertz are you ripping at Faldo? is the clicking sound on MP3's or AAC or both?

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
CrabtreeBHA said:
what bitrate and hertz are you ripping at Faldo? is the clicking sound on MP3's or AAC or both?

Ermm... not sure. I havent changed any settings as it all gets a bit technical for me.

The clicking is on both.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
do you clean the CD's before ripping? might be worth checking that as the slightest speck or scratch can affect the recording. I sue a cleaning thingy before ripping, works a treat!

if I had iTunes i'd be able to check out the settings and see if theres an error control section or something that may help, but I aint so cant. I'll have a hunt around a few MP3 sites and see what I can come up with.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Cheers Crabbers - I'll have a look round itunes tonight as well.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
found this, might be useful:

"To be sure about the files you can use a program named mp3trim (freeware). It will seek for errors in your mp3, like missing headers and so. (and yes I found out that many of the internet-downloaded mp3 have blips in them). It will give you final certainty about the state of your mp3's.
It will also cut-off digital silence and has the possibility to normalise your files without decoding them, but that isn't important fot this topic."

might be worth getting that and checking the files with clicks in them.

Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
Crabtree you hero, I've decided to wait till next month and buy an iPod mini. They're cheaper and I shouldn't need to carry more than 1,000 songs... that's about 60-70 albums worth...nice.

Right don't think that wma shit'll matter if <cough>I can download some wma to mp3 software<cough> but does it matter that my computer is old and shit? Think it's got Windows 95 or maybe even 2000....? I'll have a look see on the net but does anyone have an old computer and use iTunes?

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Temporary solution to my problem chaps - my laptop blew up.

No more "clicking" sounds for me.... until my mate rebuilds it for me...

Looks like I'm stuck with the 1,400 or so tunes Ive downloaded so far punk:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I got a 40gb iPod on Monday from Mrs El P for my birthday. By midday I had copied 1500 songs onto it, and am now working through my CD collection and adding more material. The mini iPod's look great but if you have a fair sized music collection will not be big enough.

*Tip* If you want to save some money, find someone who is going abroad as I bought the 40gb one at Dixons at Manchester Airport for £337, as they don't charge you VAT. The advanatages of the 40gb machine is that they throw in the remote control headphones and the docking unit in the package.

It is in doubt the most wonderful toy on the planet, just as well it can't give blowjobs as otherwise the wife would now be looking for a new home

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
El Presidente said:
The mini iPod's look great but if you have a fair sized music collection will not be big enough.

But if you have a BIG collection even 40Gb is not enough.

I'm about to swap (not literally) my 10Gb iPod for an 4Gb iPod Mini - I can't carry around my entire collection anyway, so I'd rather carry around my selection in a tiny, tiny unit.

*Tip* If you want to save some money, find someone who is going abroad as I bought the 40gb one at Dixons at Manchester Airport for £337, as they don't charge you VAT.

Even better if you buy abroad (well, the US at least) - you'll save a fortune.

The advanatages of the 40gb machine is that they throw in the remote control headphones and the docking unit in the package.

The remote is shite IMO as it has no display, but it's still essential. You don't want to be pulling out your iPod every few minutes - not in South London anyway. :lolol:

I think the 20Gb models also include the remote and dock, BTW.

PS For all your iPod needs...

Forums, news, reviews etc: http://www.ipodlounge.com

Accessories: http://www.everythingipod.co.uk/

Last edited:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I got my mini ipod yesterday, not had a chance to do anytihng with it. but it is very cool indded. a mat eof mine brought it back form the US for me cost me 140 quid bargain!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here