Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

o/t - Hybrid Bikes

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Anyone on here own a hybrid or have experience of riding one? I do most of my riding on the road, rather than off-road and am toying with the idea of getting rid of my mountain bike and it's slow, thick tyres, but having looked at some hybrids today, I wasn't convinced that their thin wheels would be able to cope with the pitted streets of Brighton. I'm now thinking of just getting some slicker tyres for the mountain bike, rather than the standard thick tread that I usually buy, although I do fancy having the speed of a hybrid.

Any advice from NSC's cyling fraternity appreciated.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Woodchip would be a good bloke to ask.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've a Trek 7210, its absolutely fine for normal road / cyclepath usage but I did manage to bent out the rear wheel on a pothole that my Saxon cheapy mountain bike would probably have not had a problem with. Unless the roads in Brighton are actually potholed it'd be grand - even the abraded older tarmac around here doesn't cause it a problem.

I have three bikes so asking me for advise on a single type to pick is probably not a good thing :lolol:

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
A hybrid will be fine. The wheels / tyres may be thinner than those on an MTB but will be built to withstand typical road conditions such as smallish pot holes etc.

Of course, hit a big pot hole hard enough and it'll smash any wheel....

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Anyone on here own a hybrid or have experience of riding one? I do most of my riding on the road, rather than off-road and am toying with the idea of getting rid of my mountain bike and it's slow, thick tyres, but having looked at some hybrids today, I wasn't convinced that their thin wheels would be able to cope with the pitted streets of Brighton. I'm now thinking of just getting some slicker tyres for the mountain bike, rather than the standard thick tread that I usually buy, although I do fancy having the speed of a hybrid.

Any advice from NSC's cyling fraternity appreciated.

by yourself some thinner tyres and save your self some cash !!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've used a hybrid for about 12 years - on London and Brighton streets. They're pretty good, I've had two wheels knackered in that time (and I cycle every day) which isn't too bad.

I have two bikes, a Specialized and a Ridgeback. I really like the latter and highly recommend them.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had a Kona for around 3 years and a perfect beast

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Cheers for the advice folks. A reconditioned Raleigh Grifter with slick tyres it is!

:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's the whole package that makes mountain bike cycling, on the road, hard. If you have full suspension, front and back, that's where your energy goes (boinking you up and down, instead of forward).
Saying that new tyres would be a good starting place.

I'm a 'roadie' and wizz about on 23mm tyres, (pretty fookin scary at 49.2mph) I've hit a few pot holes in my time, and the wheels have, so far coped well, the trick is to keep them inflated to/near the max required.

All hybrids will be able to cope with Brighton roads, and over the past few years, all manufactures have seen them as a thriving market.
So shop around, ask questions, see what fits best, then buy one from a Local Bike Shop.
Evans is great for seeing bikes side by side but rubbish for everything else.

Your LBS will look after you from day 1

Firstly what ever you do, get yourself some strong wheels. I have malics (or whatever that is spelt), fantastic, I ride every day in London, pot hole city, off road, through derelict sites, over cobbles.

Never any problems. Never needed retuning.

Hybrids are a bit of a mix fish. I recently posted that my Cannondale hybrid was just too heavy, the gearing isn't set for the road scene.

I would suggest just get a town/ commuting bike, designed for towns. All the main companies do them and some like Dawes have never stopped. But get the best wheels.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
This is what you want, a methane powered bike

1sttHybridMotorcycle.jpg

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Evans is great for seeing bikes side by side but rubbish for everything else.

That's so true - I'm staggered that they're so dominant.

I think the bike shop opposite St Peter's (Baker Street Bikes, so called because it's nowhere near Baker Street) is pretty good.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
That's so true - I'm staggered that they're so dominant.

I think the bike shop opposite St Peter's (Baker Street Bikes, so called because it's nowhere near Baker Street) is pretty good.

they aren't, depending on how their MASSIVE clearance sale went in Gatwick last week Id expect them to go broke pretty soon ..

Baker Street bikes USED to be in Baker Street innit :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have a Condor Bivio hybrid and I have had it ten years and it is perfect for road use. I've used it on and off road in London, Brighton and Berlin. As for your concern about thin rims...i have very strong slim-line 'A' line Mavic rims (can comfirm the model number) and they are still the original rims and still true and the bike has been used off-road in a Forest as well as on.

I went from a mountain bike to a hybrid and really dont see the point of a mountain bike unless you want to do serious off-road a lot.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A hybrid will be fine. The wheels / tyres may be thinner than those on an MTB but will be built to withstand typical road conditions such as smallish pot holes etc.

Of course, hit a big pot hole hard enough and it'll smash any wheel....

You'd have to fall down a seriously big hole to knacker the Mavics on my bike. They seem able to withstand a lot of abuse.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
My wife rides a Ridgeback Genesis and its copes well with Brighton Roads. Now called the fight series they are great looking bikes that start around £400.

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?seriesID=50&show_bike=TRUE

Its rides really smoothly. I would highly recomend you go to Evans up near gatwick airport, it is there main depot and if one is not in stock they will assemble one to test at no commitment, just have to leave a credit card of car keys.

Then if you like it get your local bike dealer, Syds, Rayments or Baker Street to order you one, they will get you a good deal and give a much better after care service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here