Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: Grammar pendantry

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
RoyalAli said:
Easy.
A near miss is a miss that was near to being a hit.
So if a player has a shot from miles out, which just misses the goal, then it is a near miss.
A miss, but very near to being a being a hit.

That's complete ROT.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Notters said:

Dear me, TLO, starting a sentence with "and"???? It's "bollocks", by the way Chappers, not "bollock's", but then you probably knew that.:nono:

Ther is nothing wrong with starting a sentence with 'and' or 'but', despite what our English teachers said (well, what mine said anyway).

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Artois said:
That's complete ROT.

I don't think so. It means a miss that was near to the goal as opposed to a miss that was far away. The phrase "near miss" doesn't mean it was nearly a miss, it means it was a miss that was near.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Rangdo said:
I don't think so. It means a miss that was near to the goal as opposed to a miss that was far away. The phrase "near miss" doesn't mean it was nearly a miss, it means it was a miss that was near.

I agree, but when does a near miss become 'on target'? The inside of the post surely counts as on target but is it a very near miss or just a near miss.

Have I missed the point slighty or have I missed it nearly or am I completely spot on with my views?

Another pint of Red Stripe over here it you would...

:drink:

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
The Large One said:
Ther is nothing wrong with starting a sentence with 'and' or 'but', despite what our English teachers said (well, what mine said anyway).

They are connectives and should be used to join clauses together, therefore lengthening sentences into compound or complex sentences.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Safeway said:
I think this is one of those thread's what should go in NSC Gold.

I don't think there should be an apostrophe there :lolol:

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
The Large One said:
With the exception of when used as a possessive, then its (without the apostrophe) is used.

WRONG

"its" is one of the few occasions when wou DON'T use an apostrophy for a possessive.

"It went back into its hole".

But you do write "it's" when you mean it is, or it has.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Titanic said:
And smiley's do'nt count instead of full-stops.

Well in my opinion they do. It's a big round yellow full stop. And here is a turqoise one with hands :salute:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Barnet Seagull said:
Starting a sentence with "and" tsssk.

AND what's wrong with that?

Last edited:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
There's nothing wrong with starting a sentence with "and" or "but" in informal spoken English. It doesn't fit in to standard grammar to start a sentence with an unconjoined conjunction. Usually the "and" or "but" is redundant.

Viz. "What's wrong with that?" instead of "And what's wrong with that?"

or

"Here is a turquoise one with hands" :salute:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
m20gull said:
unconjoined conjunction

???

Take your point but don't know if it is 100% correct (and can't be bothered to look it up). I was taught that you can start sentences with 'and' or 'but'. You get it in published books all the time and I would presume they are checked (although maybe not). Also The Large One said it was ok in a previous post so take it up with him :p

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here