Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: Grammar pendantry

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
O/T: Grammar pedantry

We haven't had one of these threads for a while, so here goes...

There are people who say that something is 'absolutely unique' or 'completely unique'.
NO! Unique is an absolute, and therefore cannot have varying grades. It is unique or it is not.

There are people who refer to a company or organisation, and say things like 'Brighton & Hove Albion are trying to get a stadium at Falmer', or 'Joe Boggins Ltd are an equal opportunities employer.'
NO! A company is singular, so the conjugation of the verb 'to be' should be used appropriately. The third person singular conjugation of the verb 'to be' is 'is', not 'are'.

Don't get me started on the use of apostrophes on this board...

Any others which irritate you, apart from smug posts from grammar pedants? GO...

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I feel there my be a reason why we have not had one for a while :jester:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Although technically it can be used, the phrase "almost exactly" winds me up. It's either almost or it's exact.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
RoyalAli said:
eats, shoots and leaves?

I view companies as a collective, so I use 'are', as they are a group of people who are doing something.

A company is a single entity, and even if it is a collective, it's only ONE collective. Therefore, the rule still applies.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Should of instead of should have (or would of, could of etc.)

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Safeway said:
Am I alone in not really giving a f***?

I hope The Large One never reads any of my posts!

The only thing that I do notice is when a production is advertised as 'new and improved'.

If something is 'new' it is a whole new concept...if it is 'improved' it is the evolution of an exsisting material(s). You can't be both.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Safeway said:
It's 'it's', not its, seeing as 'it's' is a shortened version of 'it is'.

With the exception of when used as a possessive, then its (without the apostrophe) is used.

Afters: Sorry, but Royal Ali is incorrect about the company thing. A company is NOT plural - it is singular. The pronoun for a company is 'it', NOT 'they'. Of course, the people within the organisation are plural.

People - plural
A collection of people: singular

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Biscuit said:
I hope The Large One never reads any of my posts!

The only thing that I do notice is when a production is advertised as 'new and improved'.

If something is 'new' it is a whole new concept...if it is 'improved' it is the evolution of an exsisting material(s). You can't be both.

I was inspired to start this thread after reading your Zamora story. :lolol:

But you are spot on about the 'new and improved' bollocks. Advertising companies are probably the worst offenders after greengrocers.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here