Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

(O/T) Converting VHS to DVD

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Just wondered if you VHS--> DVD experts could help with a query I have.

I wanted to get two tapes updated to DVD and telephoned a Yellow Pages recommended retailer, when I asked for a quote, the lady explained that she may not be able to assist as the tapes were copyright-protected.

The VHS programmes are not available to buy on DVD.

Do I have any options? Does anyone on here know anyone who may be able to help? If so, please PM me. Ta.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Why not do it yourself?
If I've done it, anyone can do it.
All you need is a video recorder/player, which if you haven't got, you can pick up for peanuts.
A DVD recorder, again shouldn't bust the bank.
A pile of blank DVDs.
Could possibly work out cheaper than Yellow Pages.
Connect Video to DVD with appropriate lead, and off you go.
Maybe it's more complicated than I describe?
Borrow the kit, if you don't have it, or ask someone who does this to do it for you.
It's not hard work.
Some VHS won't copy because they're protected, but most are OK.
If you haven't got many, PM me.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
If I remember correctly, some VHS tapes use a copyright protection called 'Macrovision' which basically fools the recording bit of equipment that the contrast is out of whack so it auto-compensates by flipping between extreme dark and light contrast. I'm guessing it's that that might be the issue rather than the legality of the recording.

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
If I remember correctly, some VHS tapes use a copyright protection called 'Macrovision' which basically fools the recording bit of equipment that the contrast is out of whack so it auto-compensates by flipping between extreme dark and light contrast. I'm guessing it's that that might be the issue rather than the legality of the recording.

A friend of mine got round this by plugging the the VHS machine into a Betamax machine and then the DVD worked fine just don't know where you could find a betamax these days!

phoenix

May 18, 2009
well you never know.Someone might have them,possibly download.Obviously depends what they are.

You could always by win tv or similar,thats what I did to convert videos of my children from vhs to dvd. Need a decent pc as it uses a lot of processor power.Good luck.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The converters by Canopus get past the Macrovision protection :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here