Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/t, advice needed Plasma or LCD

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
I'm buying a new telly next week as the old one has conked out. I'm gonna get one of these new ones, do you think i should go for a plasma or LCD version as I don't know which is the best. Can anyone offer any advice? :) :wave:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Thanks Bozza. Anything bigger than 32" would overpower my room anyway so LCD it is then!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
My advice is.............never walk in a pub and say.........."ive got a problem with my car"...........all of a sudden, the whole pub is full of car machanics !! :lolol: :lolol:

(there is a moral somewhere, in what ive put ;) )

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bought a 28" LCD one - very good.

My old ones for sale in NSC classifieds if you want a bargain - cheap as chips

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
nail-Z-gull said:
I'm not sold on these LCD TV's. Maybe I've only seen crap ones but the picture just doesn't seem to have any quality.

LCDs are pants with weak, low-res signals (and the black levels can't match CRTs), but they look amazing with hi-def stuff. :thumbsup:

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
Bought a 19" Daewoo widescreen LCD from Currys for the bedroom - excellent for DVD's and not bad linked to aerial. I need to get one of those gizmo's to beam Sky up here from downstairs, then I'm all set!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have a 21ins Sony FST, does the job perfectly, can't really see the point in spending big bucks on a TV. That said I did visit Currys/Comet over the New Year and looked at some of the LCD/Plasma TVs on offer, have to say the picture quality on some of them was amazing, but at a price.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
nail-Z-gull said:
I'm not sold on these LCD TV's. Maybe I've only seen crap ones but the picture just doesn't seem to have any quality.

The quality can vary massively between makes. I've seen some in the shops that are pathetic However, I have a Samsung and the picture is brilliant. The newer high definition models are even better.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
gazwag said:
If you want to be future proof make sure you buy and HD ready one

Our Phillips one is HD

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
GUNTER said:
I'm buying a new telly next week as the old one has conked out. I'm gonna get one of these new ones, do you think i should go for a plasma or LCD version as I don't know which is the best. Can anyone offer any advice? :) :wave:

I HAVE A PIONEER 43'' PLASMA AND IT ROCKS! Its about £3k though:nono:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Digweed said:
Defintely make sure you get an 'HDTV ready' box. Sky are going to be broadcasting the World Cup as their first in HD transmission. :clap:

Are they showing highlights then? They haven't got rights to live games.

(PS Broadcasts from Portugal weren't even widescreen)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
nail-Z-gull said:

Unfortunately LCD TV's are perversely too advanced for the quality of the signals currently broadcast i.e. They will come into their own when HD (High Defintion) Broadcasts are the norm. SKY are supposedly starting in March 2006 and eventually down the line the BBC etc will follow.

Bottom line is make sure that your new TV is HD ready i.e. Has the capability to show Hi Def picturs and has the right connections. SKY are bringing put a High Def box but have yet to give pricings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here