Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nuisance Calls

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Sorry if this has been covered before.

We receive calls regularly from the same source. they stay silent for a few seconds, then a female voice says "Goodbye"
Do any others of you get this call ? and can it be got rid of, it's a pesky nuisance.

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hi.
Annoying eh.
You can register for free on this link. TPS
It does not stop them all, and it can not stop these calls from abroad. I hope it works.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For 'genuine' nuisance calls not automated ones, buy a whistle.

Regularly ripping someone's eardrum out will soon stop the mucking around.

D

Deleted member 22389

Sorry if this has been covered before.

We receive calls regularly from the same source. they stay silent for a few seconds, then a female voice says "Goodbye"
Do any others of you get this call ? and can it be got rid of, it's a pesky nuisance.

I get them, along with proper calls from call centres abroad. I am now asking these call centres where they got my number from. They never give me an answer, or most of the time just put the phone down on me. Frustrating.

It's more than a pesky nuisance in my opinion. I will keep asking, and I will eventually find out who is dishing out these numbers. If it happens to come from a list sold by company or individual in the UK they will be in a serious amount of trouble.

I never subscribed to any of these calls. Someone somewhere is selling our numbers and our personal information and making a lot of money out of it in the process.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Just to add that my mother kept getting nuisance calls from an overseas company. It was happening about three times a week.
I happened to be visiting when her phone rang (on a Sunday) and i answered the call. I had a word with the annoying jerk and informed him that the last four phone calls from him had been recorded and i was reporting him, as this number was registered with TPS and his actions were illegal.
He never rang again.

bornslippy

Dec 23, 2011
Just to add that my mother kept getting nuisance calls from an overseas company. It was happening about three times a week.
I happened to be visiting when her phone rang (on a Sunday) and i answered the call. I had a word with the annoying jerk and informed him that the last four phone calls from him had been recorded and i was reporting him, as this number was registered with TPS and his actions were illegal.
He never rang again.

If you have the number of the caller and did not consent to receive marketing calls, the Information Commisioners Office (ICO) also have a link to report nuisance calls. They recently dished out million pound fines to a couple of PPI firms. Just a shame they do not have greater powers! For silent calls, these need to be reported to OFCOM.

The relevant link is about half-way down the ICO homepage.

Data Protection and Freedom of Information advice - ICO

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I have just received the automated "Goodbye" call strangely enough and thought "That's Strange" (in a quizzical fashion).

I love the one's who try to sell me stuff as I don't have many friends and it gives me a chance to have a chat.

The last scam one was the "Microsoft windows repair lady" who after a brief conversation I couldn't help but exclaim "Do I sound completely mental?" She hung up.

Dec 29, 2011
Hi.
Annoying eh.
You can register for free on this link. TPS
It does not stop them all, and it can not stop these calls from abroad. I hope it works.
I went to register my number but it says it has already been registered... but I'm still getting adverts call about 3 times a day.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
TPS only works on UK calls. Overseas or 'out of area' as it shows on my phone, are not covered by any ban. Had a call from 02890324055 and the nice Irish man said he was nothing to do with reclaiming PPI but just wanted to talk about my loan (I don't have one!). I accused him of soliciting for trade re PPI but he kept saying no in a very nice Irish voice. In the end he gave up and very politely ended the call. I rang back the number and they are a PPI reclaim company. I have since reported them to the TPS.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
For 'genuine' nuisance calls not automated ones, buy a whistle.

Regularly ripping someone's eardrum out will soon stop the mucking around.

I just press button 9 before I put the phone down.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Often outgoing telemarketing where they have to phone 20 an hour to get paid, so if you chat to boyfriend for 50 mins then simply hang up on other 19 in the last 10 mins, sorted

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
I have just received the automated "Goodbye" call strangely enough and thought "That's Strange" (in a quizzical fashion).

I love the one's who try to sell me stuff as I don't have many friends and it gives me a chance to have a chat.

The last scam one was the "Microsoft windows repair lady" who after a brief conversation I couldn't help but exclaim "Do I sound completely mental?" She hung up.

I quite liked the Microsoft windows repair lady. She didn't have a clue why the fact that I have a Mac and not a PC was an issue, and insisted repeatedly that I should turn on my computer for her.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I don't answer any calls that come through - if it's someone I know they will speak and leave a message - if it's someone I don't know and they want to leave a message that's fine. If it's telemarketing, PPI or the current favourite which seems to be "a government grant for doing up your house" they can f*** off. Occasionally if I've had a bad day or I'm feeling mischievous I will pick up the phone and talk to them. The last one I had i just repeated "Where did you get my number from" all the time. They soon get sick of it and ring off. Just the other day I had some Asian geezer who started off by saying his name was "Steve" so I said "No it isn't - that may be an Anglicized version of your name but what's your real name". In the end after about 5 minutes going back and forth he said "I can't tell you" at which point I said "Well that's hardly a good asis for starting a relationship - we need trust between us" so he rang off ! If you deviate from their script these idiots don't know what to do.

Next week - How to deal with Charity Muggers - another of my pet hates

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If it's on a smartphone, get an app like Blacklist and you'll never be bothered again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here