Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ntl

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Having just moved out of the family home i have just rented a flat where i cant get my beloved sky+ so have returned to NTL after 6 years, have they improved?

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The Portslade call centre (when it was there) was a complete SHAMBLES.

NTL were the butt of that "hilarious" complaint letter chain-email, but having worked on the inside, for every "All I've ever had from ntl is trouble" story I soon heard a "I've never going back to Sky in a million years."

Very few companies are very well run, and many succeed more by luck than good judgement.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I have had NTL for about 7 years and I can't complain, and yes it has improved the new on demand service is great for watching missed tv as well

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
NTL were by far the worst company I have ever dealt with and it was a deliberate decision to go with Sky when I got back to the UK.

Just recently my Mum was a Telewest customer who NTL have just taken over. When the takeover happened they lost their telly for 4 days and broadband for 2 and were completely fobbed off by the call centre - when they could get through which was almost never becase many other ex Telewest customers in London were having the same problem.

NTL :tosser:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Been a customer for about two years and apart from a few billing problems, the service has been very good.

BT on the other hand ....

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I had Ntl for ages in the late 90's, mainly because my mate Alan used to sell a little box thingy that you plugged in to the back of the decoder unit which unlocked all the channels meaning you payed for the most basic package but were able to view the entire menu for free.

Once they realised what was happening and improved their security I went to Sky and ditched them.

surprised they are still in business actually.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i have had no problems with NTL , and ive used them since the days of Nynex / C&W / NTL. Had a couple of faults on the broadband but generally were fixed within 18-24hours

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Gwylan said:
Been a customer for about two years and apart from a few billing problems, the service has been very good.

BT on the other hand ....

Gimme your phone number and I'll make it all better *pushes the big red button*

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
seem ok , had them a few months , tv is ok to use. B'band never gone down so cant complain.

Could do with HD though

Freddo

May 14, 2006
Clapham
the problem with ntl is that they have tried to fix something that wasn't broken, and now it is. ntl was working fine with the little tv guide that you could bring up on the screen to see what's on but now they made it all new but its just become ridiculousely slow. they're trying to be like sky but they're getting the basics all wrong.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
...and you try PROGRAMMING the box for more than 3 days ahead. It's pathetically slow.

I prefer the old days when you could easily program the box up to a month in advance.

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Had no end of trouble with them a few years back and vowed I would never use them again.
Last year I moved into an apartment block that only had NTL connections so I was forced to use them again and they didn't disappoint. Installer didn't turn up on the day he said (goes without saying really) then the phone wouldn't work. Tried calling our new number and a woman answered who had had that number for 3 years. Took them 10 days to sort that out. Broadband also didn't work for almost 3 weeks.
When I complained that it took 40 minutes to get through to their call centre I was told "I'm not sure what the complaint is, it's a free number".
Recently moved so I was able to get rid of them at last and even that was trouble. Took 3 days to speak to the disconnections department (must be busy) then didn't turn up to pick up their equipment. Mrs W arranged for them to pick up their stuff after 6 one evening and when she got there (at 5:45) she found a letter saying they had called and if we didn't contact them within the next 24 hours they would apply a £150 charge to our account even though they had missed 2 appointments and our contract didn't expire for another 10 days.
I called the engineer and said "I'm going out in 15 minutes and when I go I'm putting your stuff outside. It looks like it might rain so I'd hurry if I were you." and he was there immediately.
Never had as many problems with any other company as I've had with them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Withnail said:
Had no end of trouble with them a few years back and vowed I would never use them again.
Last year I moved into an apartment block that only had NTL connections so I was forced to use them again and they didn't disappoint. Installer didn't turn up on the day he said (goes without saying really) then the phone wouldn't work. Tried calling our new number and a woman answered who had had that number for 3 years. Took them 10 days to sort that out. Broadband also didn't work for almost 3 weeks.
When I complained that it took 40 minutes to get through to their call centre I was told "I'm not sure what the complaint is, it's a free number".
Recently moved so I was able to get rid of them at last and even that was trouble. Took 3 days to speak to the disconnections department (must be busy) then didn't turn up to pick up their equipment. Mrs W arranged for them to pick up their stuff after 6 one evening and when she got there (at 5:45) she found a letter saying they had called and if we didn't contact them within the next 24 hours they would apply a £150 charge to our account even though they had missed 2 appointments and our contract didn't expire for another 10 days.
I called the engineer and said "I'm going out in 15 minutes and when I go I'm putting your stuff outside. It looks like it might rain so I'd hurry if I were you." and he was there immediately.
Never had as many problems with any other company as I've had with them.

*shudder*

Almost EXACTLY my experience. Took 'em 6 months to install it when they were Cable and Wireless. They then missed several appointments to collect when we left that flat to move to Australia. The bloke even did put 'that' charge on my account. When I told him they'd missed several collections he told me he could give me a CCJ.

I'd like to see you try I retorted - I've emigrated :lolol:

Squiggsy

Oct 26, 2003
Worthing
Have just moved house and transferred my ntl services.

TV / Phone sorted straight away, Broadband took a couple of days as previous occupier hadn't cancelled their services early enough.

About 4 hours worth of phone calls to get it all sorted, which was a bind, but all working ok.

I'd use them again: -

a) The services are good, and improving
b) when there is a fault, they do sort it reasonably quickly

The only downside is that when there's a fault it can take up to about 30 mins to get through to report it!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
been with them 10 years,brilliant tv,broadband and phone and very cheap

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
It makes no difference what company you ask about. Some people will say they are shit and some will say they are brilliant. It is the nature of all large, service providing companies. You pays your money, you takes your chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here