Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC School of Driving

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Given the revelation that apparently a lot of people don't know about adjusting rear-view mirrors, I was wondering if there was anything else that anyone can think of that a lot of people don't know. There must be some driving instructors out there?

I'll start the ball rolling, I tried (but failed) to convince one of my friends that a dual carriageway is simply a road whereby traffic travelling in opposite directions, not one with two lanes on each side. He refused to believe me, but there you go.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
...and how about this, there are two roads in Paris where you have to drive on the left.
Avenue_du_G%C3%A9n%C3%A9ral_Lemonnier_1.JPG

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Given the revelation that apparently a lot of people don't know about adjusting rear-view mirrors, I was wondering if there was anything else that anyone can think of that a lot of people don't know. There must be some driving instructors out there?

I'll start the ball rolling, I tried (but failed) to convince one of my friends that a dual carriageway is simply a road whereby traffic travelling in opposite directions, not one with two lanes on each side. He refused to believe me, but there you go.

Why then do the signs, when approaching a four lane road with a barrier dividing the lanes into pairs say, Dual carriageway ahead. Also a road described as a dual carriageway allows you to drive at 70mph. Where as a road with only two lanes , one in each direction, the speed limit is sixty mph.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I recently learnt that if you look at the the picture of the petrol pump on your fuel gauge, the side the nozzle is stuck in is likely to be the same side that your fuel filler cap is on the outside. I have found one exception to this "rule" but only one.

This helps those who drive different vehicles, who's memory is poor and who insist on pulling up at the pump on the correct side only.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I am surprised by the number of BMW drivers who are unaware that their vehicles come with a handy device for letting other road users know when you are about to make a turn or change lanes. These "indicators" are fitted to all vehicles yet a survey for the Top Gear magazine in 2007 discovered that over 90% of BMW drivers were unaware that this feature came as standard on their vehicle. Similar figures were recorded for drivers of the Audi A4, VW Golf GTi and a wide selection of 4x4's.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
This helps those who drive different vehicles, who's memory is poor and who insist on pulling up at the pump on the correct side only.

Why do people have to pull up on the correct side, I can understand if you are in a van or something but its not hard to pull the black rubber pipe around the other side

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
My girlfriend is so gear happy, I just sit there and cringe.

Although she can drive and I can't :(

For a road to be classed as a dual carriageway, the two directions of traffic flow must be physically separated by a central reservation. A road where the two directions of flow are separated only by lines painted on the road surface is a single carriageway, regardless of the number of traffic lanes that may be available to the traffic in each direction. So a road with three or four lanes is still a single carriageway if there is no central reservation.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I am surprised by the number of BMW drivers who are unaware that their vehicles come with a handy device for letting other road users know when you are about to make a turn or change lanes. These "indicators" are fitted to all vehicles yet a survey for the Top Gear magazine in 2007 discovered that over 90% of BMW drivers were unaware that this feature came as standard on their vehicle. Similar figures were recorded for drivers of the Audi A4, VW Golf GTi and a wide selection of 4x4's.

On a similar note I read somewhere that drivers of these cars are also unaware that the idea of Motorways is not a game where you try and get as close as possible to the car in front until they move out of the way.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Ive tried to convince some female drivers at my boys school that "off-roaders" are not just limited to just for parking with two wheels on the pavement.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Ther will always be a Nissan Micra tootling along in front of you at 20mph when you are travelling anywhere in a hurry.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
For a road to be classed as a dual carriageway, the two directions of traffic flow must be physically separated by a central reservation. A road where the two directions of flow are separated only by lines painted on the road surface is a single carriageway, regardless of the number of traffic lanes that may be available to the traffic in each direction. So a road with three or four lanes is still a single carriageway if there is no central reservation.

What he said!

I don't know why they have these signs:

dcdrive.jpg

They're kind og meaningless.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think they're to discourage people from making ridiculous overtaking manouevers on a single carriageway if they know there's a dual carriageway coming up.

Yes, but as I've been saying, technically a dual carriageway can only have one lane, thought rare, so it should say "two lanes ahead" :p

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What always gets my goat is the way drivers don't understand that the 3rd lane on a motorway is a "overtaking lane" not the "fast lane".

Had a discussion in the offices a few years ago about motorway driving and ther were two relative new drivers of less than 6 months, one female early 40's and a your bloke early 20's, an and the level of motorway driving knowledge was scary, this was at a time when motorway driving was not covered in lesson or test,
The young bloke would not believe the middle lane was for overtaking only and when free the inside lane should be used, and said he always "cruised" in the middle lane.
And the woman openly admitted she would only use the middle lane regardless of what other lanes were free because "if something happened" she could then use the either lane to her left or right !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here