Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC outage: 6pm this evening

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Woah woah woah. I thought that all Apple phones were happily updated with the latest iOS whenever it was released? After all, that was the beauty of Apple - 1 handset manufacturer, and 1 operating system. No strange intricacies of different models or manufacturers to worry about. So all the bragging from Apple fanboys about how poor it is that Android versions are different across handets is, well, completely irrelevant?
All apple handsets are ios6 enabled except the VERY FIRST ONE which didn't even have 3G! How were android getting on in those days?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Woah woah woah. I thought that all Apple phones were happily updated with the latest iOS whenever it was released? After all, that was the beauty of Apple - 1 handset manufacturer, and 1 operating system. No strange intricacies of different models or manufacturers to worry about. So all the bragging from Apple fanboys about how poor it is that Android versions are different across handets is, well, completely irrelevant?

Unfortunately, Android does not compare well regarding updates to operating systems on older phones. Apple have done well to update really old iPhones. Without rooting an Android phone that's a couple of years old there's no way the latest version of Android would run. The spec of the latest phones is advancing so quickly...

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
All apple handsets are ios6 enabled except the VERY FIRST ONE which didn't even have 3G! How were android getting on in those days?

Seems that, from a quick Google, both the iPhone and iPhone 3G never got further than iOS 4.2.1

I'm not contesting the fact that Android has issues with the massive number of different manufacturer handsets that they have to contend with, and this is the obvious benefit that Apple have with 1 manufacturer working with 1 operating system. To argue with that would be foolish. I was just surprised that many seem to have suggested that the beauty of the iPhone is that all their handsets happily run the most recent iOS, yet apparently there are a couple of (admittedly old and discontinued between 2007 and 2010) handsets that never made it to the iOS 6.0 wonderland. I guess handset manufacturers that produce Android phones could just discontinue their products that pre-date Gingerbread.

Yoda

English & European
Unfortunately, Android does not compare well regarding updates to operating systems on older phones. Apple have done well to update really old iPhones. Without rooting an Android phone that's a couple of years old there's no way the latest version of Android would run. The spec of the latest phones is advancing so quickly...

Really? I have a Nexus S. This model must be at least two years old now and I got upgraded to Jellybean before the Galaxy S2 which is younger.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so really what was there? LTE (good but not much use for most) and a larger 16:9 screen (good). a bit thinner by a mm. an as yet unverified 2x speed claim (are any technically minded a tad dubious about that?). some software enhancements. a new dock (bad). oddly unknown battery and memory.

really, on the strength of the announcment, are people going to preorder in their from their existing 4S or even 4? are people going to queue in large numbers round the block for this?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
really, on the strength of the announcment, are people going to preorder in their from their existing 4S or even 4? are people going to queue in large numbers round the block for this?

Of course not.

People are going to pre-order and queue around the block because its made by Apple.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've had to go to the technology section of the BBC site to find anything about the new iPhone (I'm sure someone said I wouldn't be able to get away from news about it).
They seem to be ticking the standard Apple boxes:

Missing a key bit of technology ready for the 5S, NFC seems to TICK this box

Ridiculously expensive accessory, I think £25 (TWENTY-FIVE) for a socket adaptor is a big TICK

More expensive than other similar phones, yep £529 for the base 16GB model, TICK

I'm sure it's a perfectly decent phone but more than any previous version this one has nothing to make me consider buying it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here