Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC outage: 6pm this evening

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I still haven't got past 1G on an old pay as you go phone.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My 4S has always been able to do that, as you'd expect what with it being the same software as the iPad etc.
They do not use the same software. Even if one piece of software is written for both devices, the devices use different parts of that software. They have different hardware, different settings and when using aspects of those settings, they use different software. When my iPhone is connecting to the internet, it's choosing between 3G and wi-fi, my iPad isn't. It's different, and the iPhone has bugs the iPad doesn't (and presumably vice versa).

I have an iPod, iPad, iPhone 4S and the wife has an iPhone 3S, so we're not anti apple. My iPad has never failed to connect to our wi-fi (and same with a friend's when he lived here for a while). But the iPhone always needed me to un-hide the wi-fi for them to connect. I googled and many had the same problem. I temporarily fixed it by doing some workaround reset thing, but it failed a couple of weeks later. It's good that it's working for you, but it is a bug and doesn't work for me.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I misread the topic title as NSC outrage

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
4G was rolled out in parts of the UK yesterday, though only on T-Mobile and Orange.

I'm pretty sure this is a different 4G to the one they in the US, so any US 4G compatible handsets won't work on UK 4G, which is useful.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm pretty sure this is a different 4G to the one they in the US, so any US 4G compatible handsets won't work on UK 4G, which is useful.

You're probably right, sounds like the kind of trick the phone companies/manufacturers would pull.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You're probably right, sounds like the kind of trick the phone companies/manufacturers would pull.

I don't think it is a trick, it's just because different areas of the spectrum are available in different countries. When 4G is rolled out properly in the UK it will use the area of the spectrum that analogue TV used to use (the Orange/T-Mobile offering launched this week is using some of their existing mobile capacity because of the company merge).

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I got to work this morning at 7.30am all excited because it was iPhone 5 day. Checked the apple site, nothing on there, then asked my 4s what the time was in San Francisco only to discover it was still yesterday. Fucks sake.

D

Deleted member 18477

3GS is still where it's at and a £14 O2 simplicity contract!

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Excited. I've had my iPhone 4 for nearly two years, so welcome the upgrade. Mrs Aadam is also looking forward to it as she gets a shiny new(ish) iPhone 4 hand-me-down.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I got my iPhone 4 right when it came out thinking "I'll be able to trade this in for a new one in two years!". So then they delay its release by 3 or 4 months. Fantastic. Still stuck with my 27 month old one and not a scratch :clap: :thumbsup:

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
They do not use the same software. Even if one piece of software is written for both devices, the devices use different parts of that software. They have different hardware, different settings and when using aspects of those settings, they use different software. When my iPhone is connecting to the internet, it's choosing between 3G and wi-fi, my iPad isn't. It's different, and the iPhone has bugs the iPad doesn't (and presumably vice versa).

I have an iPod, iPad, iPhone 4S and the wife has an iPhone 3S, so we're not anti apple. My iPad has never failed to connect to our wi-fi (and same with a friend's when he lived here for a while). But the iPhone always needed me to un-hide the wi-fi for them to connect. I googled and many had the same problem. I temporarily fixed it by doing some workaround reset thing, but it failed a couple of weeks later. It's good that it's working for you, but it is a bug and doesn't work for me.

Have you tried the usual?
1) Reset Network Settings
2) Reset to Factory Default

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
You know the drill...

iphone-5-12-september-invite.jpg
Still quite new to the site so I'm afraid I don't know the drill or ,in fact, why the site will be down.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

I heard a BBC guy saying that Android has 2/3rd of the market... I found that hard to believe.... but there it is, in print...

"No wonder the Android platform, where new models appear every week, now represents 68% of the smartphone market, up from 47% a year ago, while Apple slid to 17% over the same period. "

Is all this fuss about a catchup phone from Apple really justified?

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Send me a tender and I'll let u know
Do you want a tender as in a small inflatable boat used for getting from a humungous yacht to the quayside or a container towed behind a steam locomotive usually used to carry coal to fuel the fire for the boiler. Please make your request clearer.(one-all I would suggest!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here