Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Greyhound Syndicate

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I floated this idea just before Christmas, and had a few responses. (Christmas probably wasn't the best time to try and get this going :shootself)

So, as the football season is nearly over :down:, here's something that you could spend your money on in the coming summer months :thumbsup:

Evenings out at the track, a few beers, a couple of winning bets, and some football banter to keep you going until August! NSC's own Greyhound syndicate!

20 members each contributing £100, would be able to buy a graded dog at Hove, and have a bit left in the kitty for a few months training bills. Then, as the dog runs, the fees the track pays us should keep the kenneling fees paid as well. It seemed that £100 was the maximum figure that people seemed comfortable with, when I tried the idea last year.

If you're are interested or require more information, please drop me a PM :thumbsup:

If there is a large amount of interest, then the price might go down, we shall see how it pans out.

Cheers,
Barry (Seagulltonian)

20 Places - 1 (Me) - 19 Places left

Last edited:

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Count me in for a place.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
i would be interested but £100 is too much :( - let us know when its racing tho could do an nsc meet/drinking session at the dogs!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I,m in.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
have you factored in vet bills, insurance (in case of injury's to your dog / other dogs?), and also care / housing AFTER the racing ends..?

and how do you get paid for racing your dog? would think tracks charged owners to take dogs onto a racecard..?

Every time the greyhound runs, which is normally once a week, you, as the owner via your trainer at Hove, gets at least £28 for running. If it finishes 2nd you would receive £31, and first £72. (These figures are from an A11 Race, which is the 2nd lowest grade at the track.) Average training fees with any of the Hove trainers is roughly £40 per week.

Unfortunately Greyhounds are uninsurable :down:, so any vets bills would have to be covered by the owners. Thankfully injuries are still quite a rare occurance.

As an owner you are responsible for what happens to the dog after its racing career has finished. They are really lazy, for one of nature's gazelles :lolol:, and they are great family pets, and they only need a couple of short walks a day, and I would be prepared to carry on looking after it, after its' racing career is over.

If you look at joining this for a hobby and a bit of fun, then it will cost you less than a takeaway a week, so not bad compared to any hobby :thumbsup:

With cjd, and Uncle Spielberg added to the list, that means that there are 16 places left. If you have any questions about this thread, please send a PM to me, and I will try and answer your question.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Every time the greyhound runs, which is normally once a week, you, as the owner via your trainer at Hove, gets at least £28 for running. If it finishes 2nd you would receive £31, and first £72. (These figures are from an A11 Race, which is the 2nd lowest grade at the track.) Average training fees with any of the Hove trainers is roughly £40 per week.

Unfortunately Greyhounds are uninsurable :down:, so any vets bills would have to be covered by the owners. Thankfully injuries are still quite a rare occurance.

As an owner you are responsible for what happens to the dog after its racing career has finished. They are really lazy, for one of nature's gazelles :lolol:, and they are great family pets, and they only need a couple of short walks a day, and I would be prepared to carry on looking after it, after its' racing career is over.

If you look at joining this for a hobby and a bit of fun, then it will cost you less than a takeaway a week, so not bad compared to any hobby :thumbsup:

With cjd, and Uncle Spielberg added to the list, that means that there are 16 places left. If you have any questions about this thread, please send a PM to me, and I will try and answer your question.

How long is an average dogs racing life ?
Training fees, as you say, are around £40 a week, does that include kennelling and feeding etc. ?

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
How long is an average dogs racing life ?
Training fees, as you say, are around £40 a week, does that include kennelling and feeding etc. ?

Average racing life, between 2 and 4 years. The £40 includes all the grub that it can eat, :laugh:, and all the fees for keeping it in kennels with the trainer, and his/her training fees. The only additional things would be vets bills for injuries, illness, etc. and any entry fees for putting into "Open" competitions, where there is big prize money on offer.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'm still up for it Seagulltonian in theory though cant afford the initial payment until the end of the month

what will happen when the 2 grand target runs out, a few quid a month from each person to top the fund up? what if someone wants out at any point?

(and can it be called Kanchelskis he was fast as f***)

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
I'm still up for it Seagulltonian in theory though cant afford the initial payment until the end of the month

what will happen when the 2 grand target runs out, a few quid a month from each person to top the fund up? what if someone wants out at any point?

(and can it be called Kanchelskis he was fast as f***)

No worries mate! By time that its all organised it will probably be the end of the month anyway :laugh:

£10 a month each, after the initial budget has gone, would be a good figure to be looking at :thumbsup:

If someone wants to leave, then their share could be offered to other members of the syndicate, or put up on here, and the money goes back to them.

I was looking back through the original thread last night, and I think Kanchelskis came up a few times as a possible name, so it could be!!

15 places now left.........

P.S. Sorry Surrey Jim for missing out on your question earlier on in the thread. If this happens, then I'm sure a great evening out at Hove dogs could be arranged when "Kanchelskis" is running, and I'm sure NSC would know when this would be :clap2:

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
i meant to ask if the extra costs / responsibilities have been considered.. interesting info about the race fees though.

just wish my 1/4 of a hound had made it that far.

How much did your 1/4 of a hound cost, if you don't mind me asking?

The aim of the NSC Syndicate is to try and buy a dog that is already running at Hove, and that has had no injuries in it's career to date.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
PM the Lucky 15 Challengers. They'd bet on two woodlice crawling up a wall.

They bet...

10/11 Trap 1
6/4 Trap 2
3/1 the field

Woodlice%20Trap%20New%20240.jpg

:thumbsup:

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Scooter1 has indicated an interest. So there are now 14 places left.......

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Oh go on then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here