Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC age verification required on O2 mobiles

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Just tried to log on to the .biz site, the one that happens to be saved in my phone's favourites, and it took me to an O2 age-verification page, costing £1 to prove I am over 18. WTF?!

The .com is fine, fortunately, hence this post, but has anyone else encountered this? And why NSC?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
NSC has adult content , humour and language so has to be an over 18 site.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yep me too as of yesterday monring.

Tried to access NSC and it was blocked and i was redirected to the site. Sadly don't have a credit card so am going to borrow someone's and call the automated line tonight. Costs a quid but you get £2.50 credited back to your 02 bill.

Seems a fair few people have had this since March 1st. Perhaps the change of month has caused this.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I am viewing on an o2 mobile right now and haven't been asked for any verification, i used Google to get to NSC if that makes any difference

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's part of the master plan to get the morons off NSC - under 18s first, then those bloody 18-25 year old students and lastly the 25-40 year olds :thumbsup:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Its not to do with whether you're using WIFI/3G - Its the domain .BIZ

I was pretty sure it wass to do with 3G, well I used the same link on my phone (.com) and the age verification only came up when I switched to 3G.

Edit: Just seen Ecosse's post below. I stand corrected!

Last edited:

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
:annoyed: I want my free £2.50

It's not free, you have to pay £1 for it. But still a profit to be made!

Could you go on to all these types of sites and do this? or once you've done it for one site i'm guessing it will remember. As you could make money doing this if you done it enough times!!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
It's not free, you have to pay £1 for it. But still a profit to be made!

Could you go on to all these types of sites and do this? or once you've done it for one site i'm guessing it will remember. As you could make money doing this if you done it enough times!!

It's through the network operator rather than the website so only can be done once I'm afraid.

Paul@O2

Mar 3, 2011
@eastlondonseagull,

To ensure that children are protected from inappropriate content when using the internet on their phones, we require customers to prove they are over 18 before they can use these sites. Access to 18+ rated websites is therefore blocked by default. Customers only have to age verify once.

It’s actually not O2 that decides which websites are classified as 18 rated. All the main UK mobile operators have agreed to a Code of Practise to protect children in this area. The Independent Mobile Classification Body (IMCB) was appointed to develop and maintain a classification framework which determines whether content should be rated as 18+. All the UK mobile operators use and adhere to this framework to ensure a consistent approach in the UK. For more on the IMCB see IMCB -

As mejonaNO12 aka riskit mentioned, a £1 charge is applied to a credit card but we credit you £2.50 back for being verified. If you don't have a credit card, you can go into any O2 store for the block to be removed.

@Ecosse Exile,

If you haven't been asked to verify, it's most likely that you're accessing a site that isn't 18+ classified.

If you're connected to a private WiFi, your internet traffic won't be processed through the validation system. It's only when purely using your mobile data.

I hope this answers all your questions, if not - take a look at our blog post on age verification here: Mobile phones and age verification – your questions answered - O2 Blog

Thanks

Paul

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here