Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notts County play JUVENTUS at their new stadium next month...no, really

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
new%20delle%20alpi.jpg

County have been invited to play at their new 41,000 capacity stadium as the opponents at the official opening next month (if you didn't already know, Juve's black and white striped kit is actually based on Notts Countys).

One of my eyebrows went up my forehead at this news.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
what was wrong with Juventus' old ground? Surely it was bigger than that?

Perhaps that's why, they don't fill out the current shared ground.

One of the more popular myths is that they borrowed a kit from Notts County... although the rest of the story escapes me now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

They always hated it. 60k capacity, built for the 1990 World Cup, but everyone was MILES away from the pitch and crowds were down to around 1/3 capacity, often less. You might recall its where England lost to West Germany in that epic semi-final.

This new stadium (built on the same site as the old Stadio Dell Alpi) is much more "intimate" and has executive boxes and shit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"The link between Notts and Juventus stems back to 1903, when the Italian side asked one of their players, Englishman John Savage, if he had any contacts who could supply shirts in a colour that would better withstand the elements than the pink tops that they wore at the time. Savage turned to a friend back in Nottingham, who was a Notts fan, and he shipped out the famous black and white kit that the Magpies wore at the time. Juve have worn black and white stripes ever since."

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

It's not the size of the boat etc...

Juventus are actually not overly popular in Turin, and in many ways are Italy's Man Utd, in that most of their fans exist outside Turin. This led to attendances of lower than 15k at the Stadio Delle Alpi for Champions league matches in particular.

They decided on a lower capacity with a more atmospheric closer to the action ground when rebuilding.

As for the Notts County connection Juve's strip was modelled on County's.

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
new%20delle%20alpi.jpg

County have been invited to play at their new 41,000 capacity stadium as the opponents at the official opening next month (if you didn't already know, Juve's black and white striped kit is actually based on Notts Countys).

One of my eyebrows went up my forehead at this news.

This is a true football story Notts County played them when thet first formed and they copied there kit from then on

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The only thing I liked about the Stadio delle Alpi was the bridge type thing across the halfway line. Glad we have learnt from these mistakes with the 2012 Olympic stadium :facepalm:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I think thats a really nice gesture of Juve to do this especially after all the crap Notts County went through. These Italian stadiums are now certainly outdated.
But I remember in the 80's and 90's we used to look at them with envy when Italian football was at the top of their game and they had the best. I think with Juve getting a new stadium it will create a new atmosphere for Italian football and may be other clubs might follow suit.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I think thats a really nice gesture of Juve to do this especially after all the crap Notts County went through. These Italian stadiums are now certainly outdated.
But I remember in the 80's and 90's we used to look at them with envy when Italian football was at the top of their game and they had the best. I think with Juve getting a new stadium it will create a new atmosphere for Italian football and may be other clubs might follow suit.

stands look closer to the pitch then some of the italian pitches (maybe too generalistic) but always got the impression in the old days of chanel 4 italian coverage of running tracks, empty stands and italian football

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Perhaps that's why, they don't fill out the current shared ground.

One of the more popular myths is that they borrowed a kit from Notts County... although the rest of the story escapes me now.

Its not a myth!

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Good idea, I went to the Delle Alpi for a CL group match against Club Brugge a few years back and was amazed at how few people were there. Basically there were a few thousand Juve behind the goal at the far end, about half as many Brugge fans on the second tier above us and then just odd groups of people scattered around the rest of the stadium, which was just concrete terracing with broken, bleached out seats bolted to it.

As has been said, it was a terrible place to watch football as you felt MILES away from the pitch and there was no atmosphere at all.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Have the Hammers have noted the contrast here? - Juve are moving from a 60k stadium with an athletics track to a smaller football only stadia because it is more suitable for their needs.

Neat looking stadium, will be interesting to hear what the punters make of it - I wonder what flavour the pies are?

Great idea to respect the historical link with Notts Co., good for them.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
The only thing I liked about the Stadio delle Alpi was the bridge type thing across the halfway line. Glad we have learnt from these mistakes with the 2012 Olympic stadium :facepalm:

Personally I quite enjoyed seeing Lineker score

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here