Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Notorious Sex Pistols Track To Be Released.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The Sex Pistols' long-lost 1977 track Belsen Was A Gas is finally to be released after a tape of it was discovered.

The recording was thought to have been lost, with only a live version and a later recording featuring Ronnie Biggs known to exist.

But a studio version in demo form was recently unearthed when the punk pioneers' archive moved to a new label.

Although fans will welcome the track's release, the subject matter made it probably their most controversial song.

Its lyric was about the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in Germany, which contrary to the song's title, did not house any gas chambers.

Frontman John Lydon - who in his Pistols days was known as Johnny Rotten - later admitted the song was in poor taste.

In an interview, he said it was a "very nasty, silly little thing" which he claimed should have "ended up on the cutting room floor".

The newly-discovered version will feature in a deluxe reissue of the band's only studio album, Never Mind The B*******, Here's The Sex Pistols, which is to be released on September 24.

The demo of Belsen dates back to 1977, although the live recording and version featuring train robber Biggs appeared on the soundtrack to the movie The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle.

It was found with master tapes of the album when the group's back catalogue transferred from Virgin Records to Universal earlier this year.

The remastered box set version of the album will also feature demos which have previously only appeared on bootlegs, as well as single B-sides.

Live recordings from 1977 will be included as well as a 100-page diary with some unseen images.

An accompanying DVD features concert footage from the Silver Jubilee year, as well as a film of the group's famous performance on a boat on the Thames and interviews.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Don't worry about using the word bollocks as it was decided in a court of law that the true meaning of the word is not offensive.

But I think the *****s are part of the Pistols' identity now. And you couldn't imagine Jamie Reid's artwork without the black boxes.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Did John Lydon sing on this version? I thought he had objected or abstained from anything to do with the track.

Checking wikipedia .....
"John Lydon would later indicate that he felt with this song, the group's shock tactics crossed the line into gratuitous bad taste. In an interview conducted for Q magazine in 1996 he stated "[the song] was a very nasty, silly little thing... that should've ended up on the cutting room floor". He also took the opportunity to claim responsibility for the lyrics."
He's married to a German too! Still, filthy lucre rules.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
I liken The Sex Pistols to Nirvana in some respects (except Nirvana had more decent tunes);

They got a lot of immediate imact and they managed to ride the wave for a while.
Where Cobain found it wearing, pressurising and miserable, the Pistols were cynnical and cashed in all they could....including a VERY un-punk 'revival'.
Polar opposites there alright! Still, for the initial impact from The Damned (first to release a punk single) Buzzcocks and Pistols UK Subs Ruts etc they sold me several good records.
Sorry, but if you thought 'My Way' was any cop and reckon Belsen was Gas is worth a light then you were just following fashion and clueless even about the root source of that trend.
baaaa, baaaaa :sheep:

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
I think it's fairer to say Malcolm McLaren cashed in. He ripped the band off in the early days, the rest of the band got hardly anything until they successfully sued him much later. The problem is that a lot of people believe the history of the Sex Pistols to be what's said in The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle which was basically just Malcolm bigging himself up. The later "The Filth and the Fury" is a much better film from a accuracy perspective (although nowhere near as entertaining).

This is another nice clip that shows them in a very different light:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
There was no truth in the GR&RS, it was just Malcolm's fantasy, if you wan the real story, filth and the fury is the one to watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here