Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not enough clearcut chances.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
OK,referees are a joke most of the time,and that linesman sould be at A&E getting his flag pulled out of his ar*e,but we do not make enough decent chances to bury the opposition.We seem to have good enough players,yet the number of clearcut chances made in todays game was minimal.Great goal,but the next best thing was a backheader from their defender.

Is there too much emphasis on possession,a stronger desire to defend than attack?

Certainly we should have won 1-0 today,but we never really looked like turning possession into goals.

And if it had not been for a wonder strike from a free kick we would not have scored at all.

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Of course there were few chances, they were all over us. That was their gameplan, they did it well, but in doing so had nothing going forward themselves. they wanted a 0-0, and wouldn't have got anything without a daft handball by Elphick and daft lino decision.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Ashley Barnes needs to learn to finish, and also how to take a good first touch. 8 yards out, unmarked and it bounces off of his shin to the keeper... Dear oh dear

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ashley Barnes needs to learn to finish, and also how to take a good first touch. 8 yards out, unmarked and it bounces off of his shin to the keeper... Dear oh dear

he gets himself in the right spot.........he needs more finesse. he was invisible for the first half today.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes that was a poor first touch, but then I think it was Barnes who DID tuck a chance away before being wrongly called offside. 1-1 should have been 2-0.

Going back to original point, I think you're right, BUT to buy a decent goalscorer guaranteed to tuck these chances away would cost millions.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I love this, why don't we chase another promising young player out of the club?

Some of you need to get a grip or we'll have another Jake Robinson...

The Tassie Seagull

Dave Clarkson's Left Sock
In the end unjustly B'mouth got the draw they came for, although they were looking for a 0-0. Thought they were happy to let us play about at the back and we lacked penetration from the middle of the park. When did either Dicker or Kitchenchef get into their pen box?

Not saying they didn't have a good game but was a bit too samey for me.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In the end unjustly B'mouth got the draw they came for, although they were looking for a 0-0. Thought they were happy to let us play about at the back and we lacked penetration from the middle of the park. When did either Dicker or Kitchenchef get into their pen box?

Not saying they didn't have a good game but was a bit too samey for me.

But this is the football that has got us to top of the league ? Bournemouth made it extremely difficult for us to midfield do anything, could you not see that ?

mindyjaja

May 9, 2004
I understand that we are still trying to get Cox on loan from WBA.

The Tassie Seagull

But this is the football that has got us to top of the league ? Bournemouth made it extremely difficult for us to midfield do anything, could you not see that ?

Yes but they are both players who want to drop deep and get the ball at their feet to lay it off. Would have liked to have seen one of them making more forward runs to make more of our possession. Because of where I am this is the first time I have seen us play this season, so just an observation.

Of course we were still robbed, but if this is going to be most teams tactics when coming to Withdean this season, I think we need to be a bit smarter

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yes but they are both players who want to drop deep and get the ball at their feet to lay it off. Would have liked to have seen one of them making more forward runs to make more of our possession. Because of where I am this is the first time I have seen us play this season, so just an observation.

Of course we were still robbed, but if this is going to be most teams tactics when coming to Withdean this season, I think we need to be a bit smarter

If thats the first time you had seen us play you should be nothing but impressed at how we pass it around and how secure we are when doing it.

We had also countered their tactics before the ref robbed us

The Tassie Seagull

If thats the first time you had seen us play you should be nothing but impressed at how we pass it around and how secure we are when doing it.

We had also countered their tactics before the ref robbed us

Not denying that, (It even makes El-Abd look like a footballer), but thought B'mouth were happy to see us knock it around in front of them and we needed more forward runs from the CMid players to worry their defense.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Barnes' hold up play was excellent today and he caused their defence a load of problems. Sure, his finishing still has a lot that could be improved on but he's still only young and is playing a fundamental role in a team that is top of the league.

Lay off the lad.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Zamora on crutches would have buried that!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here