Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Not Another Plumbing Advice Thread : Plastic to Metal Thread Sealers

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The problem I found was when younger I always thought a job would go easily with my dad thinking the opposite.
As I got older I realised my dad was normally right.
The loose radiator on the wall would turn into draining the system and trying to get fixings on a dodgy crumbling wall.
Then when refilling it would get an airlock which would take longer to get rid of than the original job took.
On testing the system I would find it would need re-balancing to get that far flung radiator in the back room to work.
The customer of course would say 'it always worked before' ------yeah right???
Obviously with pressurised combination boilers this is less likely to happen.
However there are still thousands of old fashioned heating & hot water systems out there.

@WrongDirection always prices jobs on the worst case scenario now.
In the rare case all goes smoothly he will realise he has nailed the firms best pair of adjustable grips under the floor and have to go back to get them :smile:

Do you not feel there is scope to set up your own website for people to subscribe to for a small fee

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I admit I only have experience of open vented systems. On those, is it still true that a 22mm pipe indicates the cistern is fed from the header tank?

I have a two year old Worcester combi. However I still have some old 1" copper pipes when the system was first fitted in the mid seventies. I know this as it was one of the first I installed with my dad. So the size of the pipework does not prove anything.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The problem I found was when younger I always thought a job would go easily with my dad thinking the opposite.
As I got older I realised my dad was normally right.
The loose radiator on the wall would turn into draining the system and trying to get fixings on a dodgy crumbling wall.
Then when refilling it would get an airlock which would take longer to get rid of than the original job took.
On testing the system I would find it would need re-balancing to get that far flung radiator in the back room to work.
The customer of course would say 'it always worked before' ------yeah right???
Obviously with pressurised combination boilers this is less likely to happen.
However there are still thousands of old fashioned heating & hot water systems out there.

@WrongDirection always prices jobs on the worst case scenario now.
In the rare case all goes smoothly he will realise he has nailed the firms best pair of adjustable grips under the floor and have to go back to get them :smile:

All what you have said about the heating jobs has happened to me, usually on a Friday :down:
I have turned down a few moving rads/ new rad valve jobs recently because I had a run of air locks and a blocked cold feed on a Friday afternoon.
I suppose the law of averages says something will go wrong if I book 4 radiator jobs in a row.
And I mislaid my favourite Bacho adjustable spanner that I've had for nearly 30 years :down:

I have a two year old Worcester combi. However I still have some old 1" copper pipes when the system was first fitted in the mid seventies. I know this as it was one of the first I installed with my dad. So the size of the pipework does not prove anything.
OK but I'm just referring to the pipe as it enters the cistern, although that might be a 15mm branch off a larger diameter one, so as you say, doesn't prove anything.

One point I found perplexing was only clarified when I found out that Imperial pipework measured in inches was only of the internal diameter, whereas newer pipes in millimetres measured the external diameter!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I admit I only have experience of open vented systems. On those, is it still true that a 22mm pipe indicates the cistern is fed from the header tank?

You are sort of right but most bathrooms have the pipes coming out of the floor or a pipe casing.
The only 22mm pipes coming out of the floor feed the bath taps, 15mm to cisterns and basin taps.
So it would be difficult to tell by just looking what size pipes are under the floor.

Some homes do have surface pipe work in bathrooms, this is the only time you will see a 15mm supply to a cistern coming off a 22mm pipe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here