Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not a good time................

I don't recall the Welsh having any previous success at the Rugby World Cup and yet it is supposedly their national sport. Perhaps they should be reminded of that before they get too overbearing.

When it comes to rugby, I understand the Welsh attitude.

I learned my rugby as a child in Wales. I watched the game live, I played the game at school. My attitude to the game was formed in Wales. I subsequently moved to England and played rugby at my English school - where I discovered that, in England, it is a totally different game. English rugby is, apparently, a character-building activity, intended to instill an attitude of gentlemanly superiority. We were taught to pass the ball, not kick it, to admire individual skill at this aspect of the game, not win the game by collective occupation of territory. I never warmed to this.

The "English" attitude almost destroyed my enthusiasm for the sport - and I turned to playing the round-ball game. But there lingers on in me a tendency to delight in the failure of the classic English way of playing. We saw that today. The French deserved their victory. I celebrate their victory and I look forward to next weekend's semi-final.

I shall, of course, be supporting Wales.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I don't recall the Welsh having any previous success at the Rugby World Cup and yet it is supposedly their national sport Perhaps they should be reminded of that before they get too overbearing.

named after an English town(or public school) and that really sticks in their gullet

Being English and living in Wales!!!!!

Wales deserved to win earlier, but now the Welsh are all supporting France!!!!! and the French are winning :facepalm:

It may be, but i can assure you it is bloody wonderful being Welsh and living in England today.:D

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
So do I, it's just a shame than whenever England play ANYONE at ANY Sport, the vast majority of Welsh support whoever we are playing.

Wales has small country syndrome.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
When it comes to rugby, I understand the Welsh attitude.

I learned my rugby as a child in Wales. I watched the game live, I played the game at school. My attitude to the game was formed in Wales. I subsequently moved to England and played rugby at my English school - where I discovered that, in England, it is a totally different game. English rugby is, apparently, a character-building activity, intended to instill an attitude of gentlemanly superiority. We were taught to pass the ball, not kick it, to admire individual skill at this aspect of the game, not win the game by collective occupation of territory. I never warmed to this.

I don't understand LB? You didn't enjoy the character building side of the game, or the ball passing or the individual skill? Sounds strange to me. I'd rather see that in rugby than collective territory occupation.

It was the fact that kicking the ball in active play was discouraged. That put me off. I'd been taught to do that and was good at it. It wins games. See France earlier today.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Let them get all exited about a rugby match that is about as important as a tiddlywinks game in the school playground. Nobody in England gives a monkeys about egg chasing but it is their national sport - let them keep it I say.

I reckon the viewing figures would say that more people watched Saturday morning kitchen than the England rugby game this morning.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
Just A Perfect Day,
Wales 22 Ireland 10,
And Then Later, England lose
to the French.
Just A Perfect Day,
8000 fans at Home Park
Then Later, Mackail Smith,
scores a goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports