Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North corners

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely thats Portsmouth and Southampton combined
Yes it is, so 3 clubs (Bournemouth), but SCC will get the main share. Great for us if our catchment area is as big (relatively) as some of you think, but a lot of it is quite stretched out and not that easy to reach.

There must be plenty of information on this already - what do you guys think the order of club size is, based purely on (eg) their catchment area?
If England has a population of 53m, and there's 1.55m in Sussex (I don't think it's 1.85) we can't be that high.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Brighton Urban Area - 461,181 (This is Brighton-Worthing-Littlehampton) doesn't include anything Peacehaven and eastwards or Mid-Sussex.
I did some rough calculations on a thread before but I can't seem to locate it :angry:
IIRC we had a catchment area of about 1m not including the places where other teams were closer (e.g Bognor & Pompey)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Found it:
(Woodingdean and Saltdean are wrongly included separately, they are already accounted for in the B-W-L conurbation)

I'm a bit wary of including people from Hassocks, on the way back from Oldham away one of it's residents was abusing some Palace fans and generally looking for trouble at Haywards Heath station :rolleyes:

B/H/W/LA 461181
Woodingdean 20000
Saltdean 5000
Peacehaven 13268
Newhaven 11144
Seaford 23000
Eastbourne 97992
Burgess Hill 28803
Haywards Heath 22800
Lewes 16222
Hastings 86400
Bexhill-on-Sea 41173
Hailsham 19836
Crowborough 19988
Uckfield 13873
Hassocks/Hurst/Ditchling and surrounding villages come to about 15K

Total 895680.

Anywhere I've missed? (Must be 10k plus population)

These are are a bit further afield:

but another 250k

Horsham 55657
Royal Tunbridge Wells 56500
Crawley 101300
Bognor Regis 22555
Chichester 23731

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why does the Brighton urban area not go eastwards to Newhaven? All those coastal towns are much nearer to Brighton than Littlehampton and share the city's fortunes more closely. Littlehampton is much more distinct.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Why does the Brighton urban area not go eastwards to Newhaven? All those coastal towns are much nearer to Brighton than Littlehampton and share the city's fortunes more closely. Littlehampton is much more distinct.

It's to do with contiguous urban area, the Telscombe Tye separates Saltdean from Peacehaven.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's to do with contiguous urban area, the Telscombe Tye separates Saltdean from Peacehaven.

Fair enough but that's a pretty small break and those are essentially Brighton places. I grew up in Seaford and always felt 'Brighton'.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thing about Brighton's large catchment area is that the towns and villages of Sussex aren't a traditional football hotbed. You can't really compare it with industrial cities with a large working class population who traditionally made
up a large proportion of football spectators. The demographic has changed significantly in the past 15 years, but I think to suggest that we'd need anything more than 30k (or whatever the exact figure is) anytime in the near future is getting ahead of ourselves.

Having said that, if it ever did become necessary, then I'm sure that there'd be a solution. Just look at what they've done at old trafford.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I wouldn't want to be sat in the lower tier in the bottom diagram of that explanation - you'd be below pitch level for most of it.

Three of the four actual grounds shown have been ripped down so I hope this isn't a definitive work for those currently studying stadium design!

The bottom diagram is in exaggerated example of fitting three tiers into a confined space, I can't think of football ground like this but The Gabba is similar:

the_gabba-600x400.jpg

Of the other four, only Wembley had rubbish sightlines as they didn't bother to consult anyone who actually knew about designing stadia.
Part of the Cardiff Arms Park is still there (the end we had at the playoff final) and there was nothing wrong with Coventry's stand.
The sightline calculation still holds true today - the only thing that may have changed is that people are on average a bit taller today.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The bottom diagram is in exaggerated example of fitting three tiers into a confined space, I can't think of football ground like this but The Gabba is similar:

the_gabba-600x400.jpg

Of the other four, only Wembley had rubbish sightlines as they didn't bother to consult anyone who actually knew about designing stadia.
Part of the Cardiff Arms Park is still there (the end we had at the playoff final) and there was nothing wrong with Coventry's stand.
The sightline calculation still holds true today - the only thing that may have changed is that people are on average a bit taller today.

Thanks - interesting. Is this a hobby or a profession of yours?

I'd say the Amex West Stand is another example, albeit that the lower seats are level with the pitch. I thought the Coventry one was their old ground rather than the Ricoh (which I don't particularly like!).

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Thanks - interesting. Is this a hobby or a profession of yours?

I'd say the Amex West Stand is another example, albeit that the lower seats are level with the pitch. I thought the Coventry one was their old ground rather than the Ricoh (which I don't particularly like!).

No just a hobby, Simon Inglis is the man when it comes to books about Football Grounds.
Although the Amex West Stand is three tiered, the tiers are not so drastically one on top of the other - meaning everyone gets a decent view.

For example, if you went to Liverpool away last season, you may remember the discussion about the restricted view seats you get at the rear of the Anfield Road end.

get-attachment.asp

You also get this at the Gabba - from the back of the lower tier you can't see the big screen or when the ball is hit high into the air.

Yes the Coventry one was at there old ground, which I thought was decent enough - so much so I really not sure they needed to move.
It certainly hasn't done them any favours if you look at their league position.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Found it:
(Woodingdean and Saltdean are wrongly included separately, they are already accounted for in the B-W-L conurbation)

Chichester 23,731

Chichester is Pompey and always will be.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
No just a hobby, Simon Inglis is the man when it comes to books about Football Grounds.
Although the Amex West Stand is three tiered, the tiers are not so drastically one on top of the other - meaning everyone gets a decent view.

For example, if you went to Liverpool away last season, you may remember the discussion about the restricted view seats you get at the rear of the Anfield Road end.

get-attachment.asp

You also get this at the Gabba - from the back of the lower tier you can't see the big screen or when the ball is hit high into the air.

Yes the Coventry one was at there old ground, which I thought was decent enough - so much so I really not sure they needed to move.
It certainly hasn't done them any favours if you look at their league position.

Don't get me started on Anfield! We were further back than that and in the extreme left corner. It was the worst view I've ever experienced at any event. Admittedly it was partly because everyone stood the whole time but even so I think it is deplorable for one of the world's most iconic grounds.

Losing 6-1 didn't help either!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here