Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nonsense about Tim's Sponsorship

Stumpy Tim

Just to let people know, I only signed up a month or so ago with my own money, paying for my sisters place who didn't have the time to train. So I didn't use a place that had been paid for an REMF place, and instead took the opportunity to raise a bit of cash for a charity close to my heart......I have been pretty busy since then and so have only raised a hundred quid or so but hoping to improve on that when I have a bit of time next week to spread the word.

I know it's not going to make a massive difference but some of the "£80 is a pathetic effort" seems a tad harsh....every little helps!

The point is that these places cost £124, so £80 means the charity is losing money. It is not good whatever you look at it.

I ran the London marathon and raised £1,200. It took effort but I did it

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The point is that these places cost £124, so £80 means the charity is losing money. It is not good whatever you look at it.

I ran the London marathon and raised £1,200. It took effort but I did it

It is not 15/4 yet. We have 10 days left. It is 5/4 today. I put together a team who committed to raising as much as they could with a target of £ 500 each. I have e mailed the address book consistantly almost obsessively for the last 9 months making everyone aware of this. Its a shame that the WHOLE focus of this thread had been to lay into one person who is presently struggling. Not one comment has been made about 1 person who has raised £ 1251. Anyway I really do not want to be dragged into a binfest again and am trying very carefully to choose my words. I will carry on pushing the team until 15/4 and then everyone can have a post mortem if they want. Thanks.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Bozza

I have met my target so if you were going to add anything to mine I would be happy for you to add this to Kevin's so he meets his target and gets to wear the pink shirt!

Kev is getting the Pink Shirt. I am presenting it to him next Friday and we will put a photo on here of him wearing it.

D

Deleted User X18H

I am not going to be sidetracked at the moment. I am just concentrating on promoting the team as best as I can for the next 10 days to raise awareness and funds. It is going in the match programme on Tuesday, hopefully in the Argus next week, is on my facebook and on the BHAFC and CPFC fans forums. If people want to pick the bones out of it, can I suggest they delay this as , as far as I am concerned we have 10 days left which is very much the business end of 9 months preparation.

Admittedly GG my efforts have been poor. But I didn't know it had been run already though. A lot of my pledges don't do JG, Paul for instance.

I think that this thread has gone a bit awry from it's main purpose which was to encourage people to sponsor or donate to those who are running over 26 miles for the REMF. I presume that those who are turning this into yet another binfest will, in 7 or 8 months, themselves volunteer to run this event in the REMF colours.

Gareth wanted to turn the excellent NSC posters attention to the good that was being done and, hopefully, encourage those that hadn't sponsored anyone, to maybe support those, like Kev, that were close to a particular target or, sponsor those that hadn't been quite so successful in getting a large sum pledged closer to their target.

When all said and done, the REMF runners will still be attempting to complete a full marathon course. Maybe those of us who aren't competing, shouldn't lose sight of this.

Sorry it's my usual fans. Anyway try my best to get as much as I can.

It is not 15/4 yet. We have 10 days left. It is 5/4 today. I put together a team who committed to raising as much as they could with a target of £ 500 each. I have e mailed the address book consistantly almost obsessively for the last 9 months making everyone aware of this. Its a shame that the WHOLE focus of this thread had been to lay into one person who is presently struggling. Not one comment has been made about 1 person who has raised £ 1251. Anyway I really do not want to be dragged into a binfest again and am trying very carefully to choose my words. I will carry on pushing the team until 15/4 and then everyone can have a post mortem if they want. Thanks.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The way I seem my role in all this is as the manager of a team. And with that in mind I will SUPPORT the team until the final whistle is blown. You don't expect or want Gus Poyet before the game has started to say " one of my team is not pulling their weight ".

It's all about a TEAM effort. I have done all I can to try and encourage people to raise funds with the £ 500 target in mind. I would rather be positive in that the TEAM has raised nearly £ 4000 so far with 10 days fundraising to go. I would rather not have this thread as looking at any negatives and push forward to a collective goal of raising as much as possible for the REMF.

Also I would say if one person is going to be subject to interrogations and abuse it will be very hard for me to encourage people in the future as they may read this and think " I would like to get involved but I couldn't possibly risk it as I would not want to receive abuse if I for whatever reason failed to meet my target. " That's not what this is all about and not in the spirit of the cause imo. I am not an expert at this but I have done my level best to get a team together and encourage them all for 9 months.

If anyone else can do better or has more skills and expertise in this area and think they could do better I am quite happy to stand back and pass the baton onto someone else next year and step down as the REMF Marathon organiser.

D

Deleted User X18H

The way I seem my role in all this is as the manager of a team. And with that in mind I will SUPPORT the team until the final whistle is blown. You don't expect or want Gus Poyet before the game has started to say " one of my team is not pulling their weight ".

It's all about a TEAM effort. I have done all I can to try and encourage people to raise funds with the £ 500 target in mind. I would rather be positive in that the TEAM has raised nearly £ 4000 so far with 10 days fundraising to go. I would rather not have this thread as looking at any negatives and push forward to a collective goal of raising as much as possible for the REMF.

Also I would say if one person is going to be subject to interrogations and abuse it will be very hard for me to encourage people in the future as they may read this and think " I would like to get involved but I couldn't possibly risk it as I would not want to receive abuse if I for whatever reason fail to meet my target. " That's not what this is all about and not in the spirit of the cause imo. I am not an expert at this but I have done my level best to get a team together and encourage them all for 9 months.

If anyone else can do better or has more skills and expertise in this area and thinbk they could do better I am quite happy to stand back and pass the baton onto someone else next year and step down as the REMF Marathon organiser.

You have done well GG I will of course, as I said I will try and get as much as possible. I am even getting abusive PM's now from my usual followers. But as Ian Hart once told me 'notoriety is all'. Actually I'll tap him up.....

D

Deleted User X18H

BTW the 25 quid referenced '1901' is from a young lad I occasionally work with, (I'm not grooming him) who sponsored me as thanks for taking him along.

D

Deleted User X18H

Right I have made more of an effort today and am now up to £100. With pledges from Messers Camillin and Cantor (unspecified so far)

I might steal by myself and ask the 'starter' next week. But will need to check how the land lies on that.

Stumpy Tim

This is taking a familiar pattern... no one is having a go at YOU Unc. No one. Let's get that clear. However, in answer to the question above - the game hasn't just started... the game is very close to the final whistle. The game isn't running the marathon (it's raising money) and there's a week left. So we're really into injury time. And yes, if someone wasn't pulling their weight I would have expected Gus to have subbed the player off a while ago.

Here's some constructive advice. It is not to be seen as criticising anyone. There are plenty of people on NSC who manage teams or are in the leadership group at work. Leading a team isn't about just saying well done to everyone. It's about doing that to people who deserve it (and there are plenty of people who deserve that applause on this thread), but it's also about having the hard conversations with those not pulling their weight, and sometimes it's about making tough decisions - as Gus says pretty much on a weekly basis.

To be fair to [MENTION=1991]hove born&bred[/MENTION] he's now realised and admitted he made a mistake in not putting in the effort and has gone out and got some more sponsorship. Maybe if someone had had a quiet word a couple of months ago he could have raised the amount [MENTION=95]Walt Jabsco[/MENTION] has achieved. Who knows.

In terms if someone else having a go, what does the role actually entail?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is taking a familiar pattern... no one is having a go at YOU Unc. No one. Let's get that clear. However, in answer to the question above - the game hasn't just started... the game is very close to the final whistle. The game isn't running the marathon (it's raising money) and there's a week left. So we're really into injury time. And yes, if someone wasn't pulling their weight I would have expected Gus to have subbed the player off a while ago.

Here's some constructive advice. It is not to be seen as criticising anyone. There are plenty of people on NSC who manage teams or are in the leadership group at work. Leading a team isn't about just saying well done to everyone. It's about doing that to people who deserve it (and there are plenty of people who deserve that applause on this thread), but it's also about having the hard conversations with those not pulling their weight, and sometimes it's about making tough decisions - as Gus says pretty much on a weekly basis.

To be fair to [MENTION=1991]hove born&bred[/MENTION] he's now realised and admitted he made a mistake in not putting in the effort and has gone out and got some more sponsorship. Maybe if someone had had a quiet word a couple of months ago he could have raised the amount [MENTION=95]Walt Jabsco[/MENTION] has achieved. Who knows.

In terms if someone else having a go, what does the role actually entail?

It involves doing quite a lot of work, trying to get a team spirit going, e mailing all the updates from the Brighton Marathon news, arranging medals, getting jg pages set up, promoting the event , arranging running tops and organising deliveries and encouraging people. I have sent e mails to people struggling making them aware of the target on a weekly basis but individual fund raising is down to the individual. I took the role on for the last 2 years but as I said I am quite happy to stand down and for someone else to be in charge next year if they think they can do better, and if they do, fantastic. As I said if people want to have a post mortem over all this, please wait until after 15/4, thanks. If you can do this job better and have more ideas I am happy to put you forward for next year. That is genuine and not in a flouncy way. Sure things can always improve and new ideas are always welcome.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Right I have made more of an effort today and am now up to £100. With pledges from Messers Camillin and Cantor (unspecified so far)

I might steal by myself and ask the 'starter' next week. But will need to check how the land lies on that.

Gus is fully aware of the REMF Tim. Go for it !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am going to enjoy running the Brighton Marathon irrespective of how much I raise.

As already said, this sums you up. Why on earth have you wasted everyone's time with the REMF then? You join a fund raising team to raise funds. You have done pretty much f*** all to date and you have the nerve to keep asking me for a £100. I cannot think of one reason why anyone should support your pathetic and sorry attempt at this race and the fund raising you agreed to do. For someone who makes out they are so well connected you have come up very very short.

Personally I questioned your commitment to the race. But, if you could demonstrate you had made a decent attempt then I would 'put my money where my mouth is', as you put it in your challenge to me. It's two way, you show that my questioning was incorrect and your attempt is sincere and I'll support you accordingly. Put simply, you step up to the plate and so shall I. I will not give you a penny for a half-arsed face saving walk around the course next weekend though.

I suggest you spend the next week making your £500 target so you do not let US and your fellow runners and fund raisers down.

D

Deleted User X18H

HT give your cash to someone else then and good on you I am sure you will. It is a fair point I should have raised more
by now. But it was you who laid down the condition months ago of finishing
in 4 hours. I can't do that, 4 and a half maybe.

D

Deleted User X18H

And another thing at least in my defence I am committed still to running and raising as much as possible some have entered and not got that far. I remember Richy's thread feb asking for people to join in if possible. As I have said my efforts haven't been as great as they could have been thus far. As for being well connected, well that's your opinion . But still Herr Tubthumper I still don't get why the starter of the running thread isn't involved! This Richie's thread btw TWO places in the REMF Brighton Marathon team up for grabs

D

Deleted User X18H

What does that mean? I really don't understand.

I would imagine in this case it means that 93% of the target funds have been achieved or
raised but there is still a specific amount of time left for
further amounts to be added. In this case 8 days.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Gotcha. £5000 * 93% = £4650. Not sure why you need to put in the pro rata bit.

Pro rata as the £ 5000 was intended for 10 men, we have now 9 so the target is £ 4500, 9 x £ 500 so pro rata with £ 4300 the team is on 93% of target although we are still trying to break the £ 5000 barrier collectively.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But still Herr Tubthumper I still don't get why the starter of the running thread isn't involved!

I will run Brighton one year. I'm trying to complete the majors first. I have done Berlin, London and Boston over the past 5 years and Im in NYC this year. Chicago next then maybe Brighton although given I train in Brighton the idea of running around well trodden routes does not really fill me with enthusiasm to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here