Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non 3pm Sat KO's - grumble alert!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Has There Ever Been A More Rubbish Disjointed Season?

Following on from this thread, has anyone ever spoken to the club concerning the sheer volume of games that aren't 3pm Saturday anymore and thus you're not able to make? Just wondering.

I know the clubs under no obligation to and anyway will point to small print vagaries that always cover such eventualities; but because of the distance I have to travel (approx 150miles), the number of evening games and changes due to Uni, village, H&S, tv etc seems to mean I can't make a large proportion of games - yet none of this is clear pre-season when you start paying. How do we compare with other clubs in terms of evening matches? Are we significantly up since we moved to Amex? Or about the same? Do we have more than other teams?

Either way, it's annoying! Might have to give up the old ST as just can't justify wasting so many games. Always be a few, just seems a lot more! And it definitely disjoints the season as others have said.

Yoda

English & European
I think one of the biggest factors is international breaks in the cgampionship, meaning we have to fit in more midweek matches compared with League One. This makes it feel like more games are being moved.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Mostly down to television and sadly tv rules. There is nothing the club can do in fairness as they are not allowed to say no to the tv companies.

My personal bete noir is the constant stream of Saturday home followed by Tuesday home. When asked they blame the league's fixtures computer but when you question whether anyone has raised the issue with the FL you just get a shrug of the shoulders :(

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Sheff Wed (Friday)
Birmingham (Saturday Teatime)
Leeds (Friday)
Watford (Saturday Teatime)
Newcastle (Saturday Lunchtime)

Only these fixtures have been affected, three for TV schedules and two because of the University. Will be alot worse when we get to the Premier League

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think one of the biggest factors is international breaks in the cgampionship, meaning we have to fit in more midweek matches compared with League One. This makes it feel like more games are being moved.

Good point.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Mostly down to television and sadly tv rules. There is nothing the club can do in fairness as they are not allowed to say no to the tv companies.

My personal bete noir is the constant stream of Saturday home followed by Tuesday home. When asked they blame the league's fixtures computer but when you question whether anyone has raised the issue with the FL you just get a shrug of the shoulders :(

Another good point. Yes, I'd forgotten this - we seem to have feast followed by famine these days and it all adds to the difficulty attending games especially when travelling long distances. I also need to be in the Brighton area an hour before the game latest to ensure I can use public transport for last leg which is another factor which makes evening games harder. Trouble is, I'm loath to give up my ST because I'd never be able to sit with pals again, which would almost make me stop following the albion and go scuba diving or another hobby instead that's a little more "customer-friendly". The curse of modern football eh? No flexibility left e.g. no standing, all ticket, often inconvenient AND expensive toboot! What a strange business model it is!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Unfortunately, it is a way of life for teams in the top 2 divisions

Personally much prefer this as means I can see more of Junior playing football as his games are 15:00 Saturdays as well.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Unfortunately, it is a way of life for teams in the top 2 divisions

I think you're right and this is the answer in a nutshell - thread closed!!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I think this could be the biggest factor in STHs becoming non-STHs.

Yes, I have. Possibly in response to your post.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Sheff Wed (Friday)
Birmingham (Saturday Teatime)
Leeds (Friday)
Watford (Saturday Teatime)
Newcastle (Saturday Lunchtime)

Only these fixtures have been affected, three for TV schedules and two because of the University. Will be alot worse when we get to the Premier League

Millwall (Not saturday but traditional afternoon k.o)

As a follower of the fortunes of Newport County (currently pushing to win the Conference), I can report that only 13 of this season's league games are scheduled for a 3pm Saturday kick-off. And this is likely to be reduced as the season goes on and TV interest in promotion issues intensifies. It irritates County supporters as much as it irritates us.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Next season is starting earlier so perhaps that will help.

So that it can finish earlier for the World Cup I presume, therefore not helping.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Might have to give up the old ST as just can't justify wasting so many games.

I have the same problem although as pointed out this is mainly due to TV rights and I guess we know that when getting a season ticket, I don't blame the club. Sadly if I find myself not able to attend more than 12 home matches per season I may as well do a per game basis as this will cost me less than the £40 it does on my ST. I think I may do 14 this season and I get to every one I physically can, but might be a matter of time before I trade the ST in.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hoping that if Newcastle beat us, and Blackburn beat Bristol City in the cup, the Tuesday away v Bristol City is moved to Saturday 26th at 3pm, as the Blackburn game on that date gets moved to midweek.

Might be a fool's hope, and of course we'll beat Newcastle anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here