Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Joke - David Lee To Stand In For Knight!

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
According to the Argus today, David Lee is being lined up for a "surprise Christmas present" as Leon Knight's stand in against Wycombe!

Mc Ghee's exact quote:

"It is still proving difficult to get a striker in but I feel happy as I said on Sunday that I have expanded the squad. I did'nt think David Lee let himself down and I would have no hesitation sticking him up front with Chris McPhee" ???

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I had heard that MM had told Lee & Harding that after their performances on Sunday they had increased his 1st team options.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
hmmmm, most people's opinion, including the SCR commentary team, seemed to be we would probably never see him in an albion shirt again. Does McGhee actually rate Robinson?

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Futhermore he (worryingly) adds:

McGhee was satisfied with the contributions of both David Lee and Dan Harding in the defeat by Rangers. Harding made his third start on the left side of midfield in place of Nathan Jones.

"I've said all along I want to be fair to everyone and I don't think we lost the game because of their performances. I was quite pleased with them and now consider them part of the squad".

Unbelievable but true - just look on the back of today's Argus!

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Im sorry, Im all for bringing on the youth players, but I have seen Harding a couple of times and fail to see what he adds to the team.

For a left sided midfielder, he doesnt appear to want to take on players, get to the byline and cross the ball, as soon as Jones came on we had far more threat because he was willing to attack the defence. If thats not his favoured position then fair enough but why play him there in the first place?

Lee for Knight, god help us

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Harding is capable of much better than he showed on Sunday. I saw him play in the friendly at Yeovil, and he was superb. Ok, it was only a friendly against lower league opposition, but there was genuine promise there. Give him another chance yet.

As for Lee, he may not be as bad as some are making out, but he can't play over Jake Robinson, surely?!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe Lee has something about him- lets face it, none of us have ever really seen him in action for a decent period of time so perhaps he could do a fill in job at least. You never know, McGhee might be able to get the best out of him.

On the other hand, Hinshelwood, Coppell and Booker didn't seem to rate the guy at all.

Lush

Mods' Pet
HampshireSeagull said:
Harding is capable of much better than he showed on Sunday. I saw him play in the friendly at Yeovil, and he was superb. Ok, it was only a friendly against lower league opposition, but there was genuine promise there. Give him another chance yet.

Also very good in the friendly against Leicester - so can turn it on against higher league opposition too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Harding looked totally out of his depth at Plymouth earlier this season, and contributed zilch to the team. He looked lightweight, hesitant and lacking in any confidence, so unless he has improved significantly since then, he doesn't look ready to start games in the first team yet.

I'd still leave Jake on the bench, its too soon to throw him into the starting line-up. Give him the last half-hour. I think OGH should revert to his old strikers role for the Wycombe match, and put Piercy in his place on the right.

Lee has done nothing to justify his inclusion IMHO.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
As Lush said Harding was very good against Leciester, had a hand in the first 2 goals, playing from the left wing position. I think given time he will devlop into an outstanding player and I hope to see him given more chances as the season progresses.

As for Lee I havent seen anything from him that suggests he is capable of partnering McPhee on boxing day, I would rather see Harty pushed up along side Chris or Robinson given his first start.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Not really standing up for Lee, but with the preceived lack of depth in the squad, he is a player we probably have to use at present. If it is a toss up between him and Marney on the bench then I would go with Lee. Less lightweight and although he has never done it in a Brighton shirt, I remember him taking us apart twice for Southend a few years back.

I guess it goes back to the fact we need a few players to come in.

Cue the numpties 'Knight get your cheque book out' etc etc

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Titanic said:
Hopefully this is all part of a very clever marketting strategy ;)
LOL!

However it's a good point. Right everybody, get round to all the 2nd, 3rd, Conference and Rymans message boards and start singing the priases of Lee. Hopefully someone will take the bait.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't think MM is averse to a little kidology

Harding was very unlucky not to score on Sunday hitting the post in the first 15 mins.

He just needs a bit more experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here