Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Hats in Dicks?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Before being admitted to Dick's Bar, people are still being asked by stewards to remove their hats once upstairs. On asking the reason I was informed, "It's for CCTV. If there's an incident, we can more easily identify people."

Dick's is meant to be the fans' bar, friendly and welcoming, open to all. That hats rule seems petty and somewhat bizarre. And inconsistent. The East Stand Brasserie - which now functions as a (far bigger) bar post-match - imposes no such restriction.

Have there been any recent incidents of menacing, hat-wearing felons storming in and making off with the tills, the pies... or the staff? What on earth is going on?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
[Something funny about dicks, heads, wrapping up and being safe]

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Right. Lets get ONE THING clear from the outset.

Why the f*** would you want to wear a hat INDOORS? I can see why with kids but ADULTS? Why? Unless you are some gangsta rapper or fuckwit obviously.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When a gentleman “dons” his hat to leave or “doffs” his hat to a lady, his actions are being described by two British colloquialisms that come from contractions of the phrases “do on” meaning “to do”, and the Middle English “doffen”, which became “don off” meaning “to do off”!

Hats are tipped, (or doffed) slightly lifting the hat off your forehead, when meeting a lady (remove your hat if you stop to talk), or to "say" to anyone, male or female – thank you, excuse me, hello, goodbye, you’re welcome or how do you do.

Tipping of the hat is a conventional gesture of politeness. This hat tipping custom has the same origin as military saluting, which came from the raising of medieval Knights face visors to show friendliness.

Hats are worn less now, but at the turn of the 20th century, all adults wore hats whenever they left the house. It was a matter of good personal hygiene, since hats were a protection from industrial dirt.

Hats are removed when inside, except for places that are akin to public streets, like lobbies, corridors, and crowded elevators (non-residential). In a public building (where there are no apartments) the elevator is considered a public area.

You may choose to remove your hat in a public elevator, but in the presence of a lady your hat must be removed.

A gentleman takes off his hat and holds it in his hand when a lady enters the elevator in any building that can be classified as a dwelling such as an apartment house or hotel. He puts it on again in the corridor.

A public corridor is like the street, but an elevator in a hotel or apartment house has the character of a room in a house and there a gentleman does not keep his hat on in the presence of ladies.

Hats are removed for the National Anthem, passing of the Flag and funeral processions, outdoor weddings, dedications, and photographs.

Removed hats are held in hand in such a way that only the outside and never the lining is visible.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I was under the impression that it was extremely bad manners for men to wear hats indoors, so I would hope that it is automatic for them to be removed whether you are asked to or not.

Edit - there you go - Piltdown Man has it spot on!

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I personally wouldn't want to wear a hat in Dick's Bar but it does seem a bit odd that if you look down to the shop from the bar what can you see on display for sale? - hats. So you can buy them but not wear them!!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This would only be a problem if you have one of those hats with a ponytail attached to be back and you wanted to give the impression that you have hair.

Are whigs allowed? Is Richard Hebberd allowed access?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Right. Lets get ONE THING clear from the outset.

Why the f*** would you want to wear a hat INDOORS? I can see why with kids but ADULTS? Why? Unless you are some gangsta rapper or fuckwit obviously.

You tell me?

f***ing bonkers! We allow dress down on Friday and out of my team today we have one sporting Chicago Bulls baseball cap back to front. I hat that Benny from Crossroads would have been proud of and a young lad who insists on sitting at his desk with his hood up, it's certainly not f***ing cold in here!

What is it with the youth of today?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
seems a bit stupid to ban hats at a FOOTBALL STADIUM. The exact place where the club might hope people wear hats that they've bought in their shop. I bet it's the one place a fair few people only ever wear a 'hat'.

and the hats indoor thing is a bit 1930s isn't it?

(and no I don't wear hats)

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I saw Oddjob in there, Wednesday.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
There was an old(ish) guy in front of me wearing a flat cap on Wednesday night. As he went into Dicks just infront of me he was asked to remove said cap. When he queried why he was told (as mentioned above) that it was for CCTV cameras and therefore they are not allowed to be worn inside.

Next think you know it will be no DMs and like the Arsenal game back in 1979 will we see a row of them lined up outside the ground?? Or perhaps the modern equivalent is those stupid UGG boots!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Baldies look better in hats, indoors and out. I thought it was just baseball-type football hats in Dicks', but no it's any hats.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
When it was -4 and I had missed two trains and a bus and walked for miles and could not feel my toes I was told to remove my woolly hat, in winter...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As far as Im aware a hat is to keep a HEAD WARM.

Outside FINE. Inside and INDOORS why?

Its akin to those IDIOTS that wear SUNGLASSES in NIGHTCLUBS.

f*** OFF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here