Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nimrod Ping RIP

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I've only just found out that the man with the silliest name in Brighton, Councillor Nimrod Ping, died recently. There are various tributes to him on the Argus letters page.

Sad news.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I feel sad and not a little bit guilty about this (I didn't kill him, I hasten to add): not 2-3 months ago, I got a parking ticket in Regency Square which, to spare the details, was marginal at best. As well as the ticket, I also got a fantastic long, elegantly-written note from Councillor Ping on my windscreen, saying how annoyed he was to see that I'd been harshly ticketed, asking me to appeal and that he'd help out with any advice if needed, how annoyed he was with these rampant parking wardens everywhere etc.

A fantastically helpful, selfless and generous thing to do, I thought, and I kept meaning to contact him to say thanks - I still have the letter in a pile of paper on my desk - but, of course, never got round to it. He actually made me think about voting LibDem at local level, which is really saying something. Sounds like an all-round good egg.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Didn't it win an award for being the most architectually pleasing Saino's in the UK or something?

Anyway: that's another N Ping fact which I'm glad to learn. RIP.

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Man of Harveys said:
He actually made me think about voting LibDem at local level, which is really saying something. Sounds like an all-round good egg.

Wasn't he a Labour councillor? I don't think he'd been on the council for some time. Unless he'd been re-elected, or crossed the floor, and I didn't know about it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Wasn't he a Labour councillor? I don't think he'd been on the council for some time. Unless he'd been re-elected, or crossed the floor, and I didn't know about it.
I thought he was a LibDem but if he was Labour, that's even better. :)

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
I remember when Councillor Nimrod Ping and Canon Beaumont Brandy were interviewed together on Newsnight by Jeremy Paxman. I thought they were a comedy double act.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It is very sad news.
A true brightonian.
RIP nimrod Ping.

A life less ordinary and no mistake. An autographical memoire by him would make remarkable reading according to friends of his.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Nimrod Ping was on the planning committee when we gained permission to play at Withdean. We had the SWEAT nimbys trying to state that what we were proposing was illegal, overdevelopment etc.

many councillors spoke and last was Nimrod. As a trained architect he cut to the main point which was that all that was being proposed was to enhance a site that already could allow over 6,000 in, by providing a new permanent stand, temporary stands, portacabins and new pa/security system.

He spoke eloquently and based his view on fact.

It's just a pity that so many local councillors these days don't have his skills and view of public service!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I read this earlier this week.

tragic shame, an excellent councillor and public servant, part of labour party that finally won control Brighton Council during the mid '80s.

like LI said, apparently he led a very interesting life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here