Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Night games at the Amex- atmosphere

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
In most stadiums, games under the lights often produce a better atmosphere than games played on a Saturday. The Goldstone was definitely like this. Yet the Amex seems to be the opposite. For some reason the evening games always seem a bit flat. Why is this? My theory is that a lot of STH give their tickets to others so you don't have as many regulars making the noise. Whether that is correct or not I don't know, but there must be a reason for it.

Does everyone agree, or am I talking rubbish again?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Last night was a poor atmosphere by Amex standards. But there have been good evening games, tbh I think Ipswich would have been even flatter but for the banner which got the crowd riled.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I sat for the first time in the East Stand last night, right down by the Cardiff fans, I am a ST holder in the North and so far the noise has been great from there, what I noticed last night was that when the whole ground sang like it did a few times last night, the noise was excellent, very intimidating, but when it was just the North, it could hardly be heard, even after the goals. The Cardiff fans I thought for the small number that travelled sounded very loud, but then i was sitting next to them.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I think along the East Stand (Family Section) can seem a bit flatter, those kids are fantastic in generating a bit of noise and the evening games seem to have a much reduced number.

For example, im normally there with my daughter, but she cant go evening games unless school hols, so was in the north. Assume maybe its similar for other parents?

So yes [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] I do agree with you

In most stadiums, games under the lights often produce a better atmosphere than games played on a Saturday. The Goldstone was definitely like this. Yet the Amex seems to be the opposite. For some reason the evening games always seem a bit flat. Why is this? My theory is that a lot of STH give their tickets to others so you don't have as many regulars making the noise. Whether that is correct or not I don't know, but there must be a reason for it.

Does everyone agree, or am I talking rubbish again?

Partly the problem,could also be people drink a little less when turning up later than normal.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
Only been to Leeds and Palace but it seems good to me. Is it better than that in the day?

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
It's a two way thing. the team need to excite the supporters and in turn the supporters make the noise. The first half gave very little to get really excited about and consequently the atmosphere suffered.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Think Commander has hit nail on head when he says it's partly down to ST holders giving tickets to non ST holders. I've only made a couple of evening games this season, because of work / family commitments and have usually managed to pass my seat on. But the regular singers are then broken up, which doesn't help.

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
I agree with the op. I have an idea to get the supporters going. Give the visiting team a goal right from the start and use wingers. punk:

MurrayGulliver

Nov 14, 2011
Portslade
It is was flat in the first half, but I thought after Cardiff scored the first it did get a lot noisier. also they way Cardiff set out was to frustrate us.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The group in front of me are much quieter for evening games, I think it's because they are sober. I, on the other hand, only really tend to drink at evening games :shrug:

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
We're very much a crowd that reacts to what is on the pitch. The first half was flat so the crowd was flat. Second half improved and the crowd improved. Would be nice if we could belt out songs and noise regardless of what's happening on the pitch, but it seems we need a contentious decision by the ref or a goal to get going.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I sat for the first time in the East Stand last night, right down by the Cardiff fans, I am a ST holder in the North and so far the noise has been great from there, what I noticed last night was that when the whole ground sang like it did a few times last night, the noise was excellent, very intimidating, but when it was just the North, it could hardly be heard, even after the goals.

This is quite right, I have sat at the south end of the east stand twice now, against Leicester and Ipswich, and any one of our stands singing on their own is barely audible. Different story when all get going, but understand if away supporters claim we are quiet.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It was pointed out to me last night that we have yet to win a league match under the light this season. Looking back on it, the Leeds game aside, most of the midweek's have been frustrating affairs so this may explain the atmosphere difference. I much prefer the more relaxed build up to a saturday kick-off than the hurry to get to the ground after work on a weekday.

D

Deleted member 18477

thats because for a night game hardly anyone is pissed!

also im f***ing knackered after work and hate night games these days.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
It is definitley quieter at evening games. Palace, Millwall and Cardiff have all been subdued atmospheres for some reason. Can't quite work it out. The most disapointing was the Palace game. Our supporter was abysmal that night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here