Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice Ground...

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
shame about the result...

Coventry's Ricoh Arena is truly a thing of beauty, it's a pity that the football team that plays there isn't that beautiful. However, Coventry still managed to contrive to beat the Albion who had started well but went downhill after letting in another goal just before half time and then lost all confidence when the second goal went in.

Henderson hardly had a save to make in the first half, although Joel Lynch made a goal saving block when Stern John was poised to score. At the other end, their keeper had to make three or four saves of note - although most of them were from distance. One in particular from Frutos was destined for his top right corner but he got a hand up and parried the ball well.

We were pleased when McSheffrey was subbed off for Morrell as we well know that he is a dangerous player and we were easily looking good to stay level at half time until Dennis Wise arrived late leaving Dean Hammond in his wake and placed a header beyond the despairing reach of Henderson who appeared to injure his hip and limped off at the break. Despite being in obvious pain throughout the second half he still pulled off a couple of saves but could do nothing about Wise's second goal which came after Lynch lost a challenge on the half way line, Coventry's Whing went down the wing into the huge gap which had been left down that side of the pitch and the ball was hooked into the goal from his cross. The confidence could be seen to drain from our team and despite McPhee and CKR coming on as subs, no further chances were created and the promise of the first half disappeared down the all too usual path of most of the recent performances. The stats show that we were often on top (7 shots on target to their 4, 5 corners opposed to their 3) but once we were behind, particularly by two goals, the team and the supporters knew there was no way back.

Next week at home to Leicester is a must win game or the gap that is starting to open up may just start to get too wide, we need to get back on terms with them, Sheffield Wednesday and Derby before it gets too late.

Ratings
Henderson - 8
El Abd - 6
McShane - 7
Butters - 8
Lynch - 6
Carole - 9
Hammond - 5
Carpenter - 6
Frutos - 7
Robinson - 7
Hart - 6

Subs
McPhee - 5
CKR - 5

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
Having been to many of these new grounds now, I thought that this was the most striking of them all. Imagine if Falmer was even better...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
coventrygull said:
Personally thought it was rather souless. Anyone else hate these new grounds

I do as well. I find them lacking character.

I do like the picture of the new Lansdowne Road though

2004_01_24_lansdowne.jpg

I like the old fashioned grounds. Up against the pitch. Different size stands, cowsheds, terraces.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
junior said:
Falmer is UN-important at the moment.

We NEED a new manager.

Give it a rest. Falmer is the ONLY important thing.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
coventrygull said:
Personally thought it was rather souless. Anyone else hate these new grounds

Don't like them either. Coventry, St Mary's, Leicester, they're all pretty much the same.:yawn:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Generally hate those identikit "new" stadiums ... although I quite like the look of that one. Nice main stand. Hopefully Falmer will, as the designs suggest, look a bit different.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
junior said:

We NEED a new manager.

Are you taking the mick or are you just plain thick?

Falmer is our FUTURE!It has never and will never be un-important!And as for the new manager thing,who will come in for the job then?McGhee has done OK,but I am getting a bit worried now.Junior,you have to understand that:
a)We need Falmer
b)There aren't many Jose Mourinho's wanting to take over here,or Russian billionaires

gollum

Dec 29, 2004
Another soulless concrete bowl...no atmosphere...same as most new grounds are these days. Where have the innovative stadium designers gone that built the likes of Huddersfield and Bolton? I preferred Highfield Road.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
junior said:

We NEED a new manager.

I thought you needed £900 for a clapped out Toyota.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Stadium was nice inside, but to me looked a bit tacky on the outside and looked as if it could "weather" very quickly!.....................................Coventry singing was very poor............................sing when your winning comes to mind. Having said that our support was not fanatical like it can be..............................pass me the pills:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here