Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NHL season officially scrapped

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Damn.. I started getting into NHL last year when I got Channel 5 for the first time.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
:( shame , rather watch that then the f***ing NFL

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Amazing isn't it, another North American sport recked by greed, as far as I remember the Baseball players went on strike in the early/mid-90's and they lost a season.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The baseball players didn't lose a whole season. They didn't go on strike until part way through the season. This is the first time a professional sport in North America has lost a whole season. There was optimism this morning of a last minute deal that would have meant a 28 game season and then playoffs. Didn't happen though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Juan Albion said:
The baseball players didn't lose a whole season. They didn't go on strike until part way through the season. This is the first time a professional sport in North America has lost a whole season. There was optimism this morning of a last minute deal that would have meant a 28 game season and then playoffs. Didn't happen though.
They should do that anyway. The regular season is a complete waste of time in the NHL, as it only elliminates 2 sides out of 6 or 7 - usually the Leafs, sadly.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
The NBA lost the best part of a season too back in 1999, its silly how they can't agree with such huge sums of money being paid out.

THe NHL players seem to be the silliest of all though as they're rejecting a salary cap which at least basketball and I think other sports in the US have and which would improve the game for the fans as it wouldn't just be a few teams dominating every year. Plus of course they're not being paid anything at the moment..

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
brightonfan_86 said:
NHL is a great sport in America its a shame it has to be scrapped.

It's a great sport in CANADA too!

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Canada is part of America. As is Mexico, Brazil, Nicaragua etc. etc.

If BF86 meant the USofA, then he is wrong. The NHL is very much a minority sport in the US, apart from a few cities. Go to a US national news website and you might find this story hidden in a corner somewhere.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Don't fret the Hi-Li(spelling?) season is apparently unaffected.

Anyone ever watched that US 'sport'? Two blokes throwing/catching balls at high speed using a plastic 'sleeve'.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Cheeky Monkey said:
Don't fret the Hi-Li(spelling?) season is apparently unaffected.

Anyone ever watched that US 'sport'? Two blokes throwing/catching balls at high speed using a plastic 'sleeve'.

I saw it on Jackass when they were lobbing oranges or something at their arses.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
You can have your very own tournament in the back garden

hi-li100.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tch. Suppose the players will have to find a playground for their little fights till next season then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here