Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next season

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Do you think next season will be tougher? MK Dons and Posh both have money to spend.Colcester will have a new ground and possibly extra funds.The teams coming up from the 2nd division look decent with money to spend.On the other hand the championship clubs that looked doomed don't appear to be a serious threat or serious challengers to bounce back.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
All depends on who we can get in over the Summer.

Our squad has relied on loan signings to patch up a pretty average squad.

If we fail to get some quality players in next season I think we're going to struggle, but we'll see.

Edit: To be fair though, the promoted teams this year haven't done all that bad. Walsall have done damn well having been promoted last season, and Southend and Leeds have done very well having been relegated.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Darragh McSugar Daddy's cash isn't going to last forever with Posh considering its based solely off middle aged people buying property in Spain - credit crunch is gonna cost him.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
We are going to get rid of Carlise, Swansea and I would guess either Leeds or Forest. I think all of those clubs are better than the ones coming down (Apart from Leciester if they come down)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We are going to get rid of Carlise, Swansea and I would guess either Leeds or Forest. I think all of those clubs are better than the ones coming down (Apart from Leciester if they come down)
I'm not convinced. Forest are coming good at the right time and could yet sneak automatic promotion. Southend are only a point behind Forest so have left it just about too late, but I fancy them in the play-offs.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I think Milton Keynes (no Dons please) could go straight up, although they may lose Ince, who is doing a tremendous job as a manager and deserves respect for starting at the bottom rather than expecting to walk straight into a premiership job. I don't really think there is too much to worry about with Peterborough/Stockport/Hereford(apart from the away trip)/Rochdale or whoever else comes up. And I can't see Colchester, new ground or not or Scunthorpe sustaining success.

That still leaves at least one of Leeds/Forest, plus one of Carlisle/Doncaster/Southend, plus whichever relatively big club drops out of the Championship. And there is usually a surprise package.

Automatic promotion would be a big ask, but we should be in with a better shout for the play-offs.

(All assuming that Leeds don't lost their last two games, whilst we are winning ours!)

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Its going to be harder next season, this years league has been pretty poor, and everyone is beating everyone.

If Leeds and Forest dont go up, and Leicester/Sheff Wed come down it will be even tougher.

Could have a league with Us trying to get promoted with the likes of Doncaster, Southend, Leeds, Forest, Leicester/Southampton/Sheff Wed, Colchester, and Scuthorpe - that will be very tough if we dont make some major signings

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Yeah its going to be tough. I expect another season of consolidation and maybe slight progression, with say a not unreasonable expectation of a more sustained play-off challenge.

But being realistic I think I would rather we trod water here until the stadium is underway, with maybe an increase in spending and expectation as the last season at Withdean comes to a close.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
We'll be one season nearer Falmer and therefore more attractive to a) players and b) investors. We'll go up in second place on a tide of excitement and with Forster and Murray both scoring over 20 goals each.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
MK And Peterborough are both very good sides, I expect them to be challenging at the right end next season. The other two to come up may not be so good, but if you look at Hartlepool and Bristol Rovers this season they're both lower midtable and got their comfortably without ever being the relegation scrap.

I don't expect massive things from Colchester or Scunthorpe, although they both have strikers who've scored good amounts for where they are in the table, Paterson for Scunthorpe and especially Lisbie for Colchester, if they keep them then who knows. The third team is interesting, it could be any one of about seven sides still, most of them "big" clubs for this division. But that is no guarantee of immediate success, in fact in recent years none have bounced straight back (unless Leeds do). Also some have had financial problems before, so getting relegated could be a tough hit for them in that way.

I'd expect Millwall to be stronger next year if they don't go down, possibly Yeovil too, I think Crewe's fortunes depend totally on if they can keep Nicky Maynard. Cheltenham would be the only ones I'd pick out as relegation candidates, their chairman has been saying their budge will be smaller or something, and if Gillespie goes they will surely go down (if they don't this season).

Swansea are a good side and I don't see anyone who will step to replace them as a (relatively) dominant team, it is unusual for that to be a relegated side, so maybe Forest or Leeds if they can get some consistency in their expensively assembled squads. I think Southend will kick on if they don't go up.

So overall, err, about the same. :lol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
MK Dons and Peterboro both have sugar daddies, and that will allow them to buy improvements. Remember that Posh spent £500k on a player this season, with the promise of more to come from their chairman.

If Leicester/Cov/Wednesday come down they are all capable of attendances of 20,000+ next season at home, again giving them decent spending power.

Despite the moaning, I think we have done very well this season to have an outside playoff chance with two games to go, realistically we can't expect much more next season............but being realistic is not the NSC way.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Next season we should have a more settled squad without so much reliance on loans and players out of contract at New Year or the end of season. If we can get 3 or 4 more players in by the start (1 x GK; 1 x LB (Richards hopefully); 1 x CM; 1 x LM) then we should be in a strong position to challenge for a playoff place or even automatic.

I'm not so worried about the teams coming down and I can only see MK as a real threat from L2. Of course there's likely to be 2 from Forest, Leeds and Southend still there but I would happily take our chances against the rest.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The quality coming up will be of a higher standard but I don't think that Scunthorpe or Colchester are any great shakes and the third club who come down barring Barnsley will be in financial turmoil.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If it is Southampton who come down and appoint Hoddle again as the speculation suggests I think that they will bea formidable team. The same would be said of Leicester with or without Holloway, who knows this division.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I would like to go to Hillsborough, so hopefully it will be the OWLS

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Scunthorpe went up mainly because off Sharpe and Beckford, they wont be a threat.

Depending on who Colchester keep over the summer they could be a force. Jackson, Izzett, Hammond, Yeates, Lisbie and Gerken among others would be a good team.

But its MK Dons and Peterborough that I think will be the main threat, Both seem to score for fun and both are on the up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
MK Dons and Pterborough could both lose their managers who are young and ambitious.

Peterborugh s goals have come from players straight from the conference and therefore not much of a jump but now they are known so it may be more difficult for them plus a higher division.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here