Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newell Attacks Agents!

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Heard the interview on the radio this morning, he sounded adamant that he would name names if the FA got in touch.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Has nobody at the Football League evr read Broken Dreams by Tom Bowers.

They do not really want to tackle the problem just make little waves and be seen to be doing something but nothing at all.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Nice job Newell :clap:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
BG's quite right. Neither the FA nor the FL did anything for us to stop Archer & Co. - even though they could have under their rules. As it is, they're doing very nicely indeed out of football and nobody wants to rock the boat in case they all get wet.

Agents and all sorts of hangers-on must love it at the moment because they know they'll never get asked to explain their methods.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was on Surrey FA for 10 years and all that they wanted to do was hob nob in the board rooms of the top amateur clubs and reminice(sp) about the good old days and Stanley Matthews. Oh nearly forgot get their allocation opf Cup Final and England vs Scotland tickets.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Football agents rank alongside Estate Agents.
In every tansaction they rake off their cut, whether its good or bad for the customer. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle C said:
Football agents rank alongside Estate Agents.
In every tansaction they rake off their cut, whether its good or bad for the customer. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And IT recruitment agents. I spot a common theme here.

I do find it interesting that managers talk about them being the scurge of the game, but are they really? Looking at the overall state of the game, there must be plenty of money knocking around. Sure, the top end takes the lions share, but players throughout the level at which Albion play (& below) are - I suspect - making a tidy living out of the game. The Championship is the 4th highest attended league in the world apparently and it aint cheap to get in.

In fact, who really benefits from the £25 ticket prices? The fans? No. Let's face it, it's going into the pockets of boards and players. No wonder these leeching agent tossers are in the game - they want the slice of the big fat cake.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
BensGrandad said:
Was Jimmy Hill right to get the wage restrictions abolished and now HE complains that players are earning too much and ruining the game.
Yes he was. Current wages are down to market forces which is only right and fair. And since the British football public seems to make a virtue out of attending every game (read fatboy's "daytrippers" drivel for details), it has become obvious that the market is fairly inelastic and football clubs can charge what they like.

It's just that given these circumstances, I find it a bit rich to hear managers banging on about agents when we all know they only hate them because they drive up wages still further.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why isn't Newell naming names then ?
He was asked a direct question on the radio this morning. "How much money have you been offered by agents in transfer deals then, can you give an example ?". He backed down from the question and wouldn't even give any example figures out, just saying "it was made clear to me that I'd be looked after".

So agents are a "Bad Thing". Yes, I'm sure some of them are. But Newells hardly saying anything groundbreaking here, is he ? Simon Jordans been banging on about them for years and refuses to deal with them. LOADS of managers grizzle about the influence of agents in the transfer market. But until someone has the courage to come forward and annouce that "so-and-so offered me a bung of x amount in the transfer of this player", then whats going to change ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
D'Angelo Saxon said:
I thought he was going to...
So he says. Why can't he do it publically then ? If he's suddenly on this moral crusade, lets get some FACTS out in the open.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Dont wanna open a can of worms and I cant possibly say it is true. But makes you wonder about the El Turi situation....

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
Dont wanna open a can of worms and I cant possibly say it is true. But makes you wonder about the El Turi situation....

That stacks up with the rumour I heard about some geezer delivering a van load of corned beef to mcghee's house.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:

my thoughts exactly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here