Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newbury Race 1 - 2 horses drop dead

DOUBLE TRAGEDY AT NEWBURY
By Tom Peacock, Press Association Sport

Two horses collapsed and died in the paddock before the first race at Newbury.

Both Fenix Two and Marching Song mysteriously fell to the ground, with the reasons for their deaths unknown.

Some horses had already made it down to the start and there were reports that others had "wobbled" on entering the paddock.

Stipendiary steward Paul Barton said: "We are going to hold an inquiry and interview those connected with the horses. We are not going to use the parade ring for the rest of the meeting. The horses will parade in the pre-parade ring and leave from that point.

"The veterinary team are in charge of whatever precautions as far as the other horses are concerned. They have checked all other horses in this race."

Nicky Henderson, however, was quick to withdraw his runner Kid Cassidy.

Andy Turnell, trainer of Marching Song, said: "It looks like they've been electrocuted. My fellow seemed perfectly all right and I was about to leg him up but he just went straight down."

Jonjo O'Neill, trainer of Fenix Two, said: "Kid Cassidy was in front and he took a turn.

"We thought he was bucking and kicking and he went down on his knees then he seemed to be OK.

"Mine reared up and we couldn't get him back, it was like he was stuck to the ground. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen in my life."

There is speculation the horses died from some form of electric shock from a cable running underneath.

Denman's owner Paul Barber was in the paddock and said: "The girl of Turnell's said she felt a tingling as she led them round and then Nicky's horse went down.

"They were getting the shocks off the grass, not off the tarmac. I've never seen anything quite like that ever."

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sounds like a live main under the parade ring. Feel sorry for the horses, but I'm glad nobody was killed.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Shocking news

:down:

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Ohm my god, Thats terrible.

:nono:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Bloody hell - what has gone wrong?

I put $5 place on Marching song is what went wrong for that poor nag
down.gif

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
dodgy stuff happens when a sport exists solely for the purposes of betting

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That really sounds bizarre doesn't it...I thought that electric cables had to be buried in insulated piping a certain distance below the surface, maybe someone with knowledge of building regs can confirm!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i was on fenix two ,will i get my stake back?/was in some doubles too

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Unbelievable incident, never heard anything like it. Certainly sounds like it was some sort of exposed live cable just under the surface, and as the hoof dug in with the metal shoe, it's picked up the shock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here