Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Stadiums That Are Samey, Characterless, Boring, Or Much of a Muchness........

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Something like this?

0910%20THFC%20New%20stadium%20plans.jpg
PLEASE let that stadium get built. That Kop just looks f***ing MINT.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If they did though they wouldn't fit with the East and West lower, If you had a seat in the corner you wouldn't be able to see half the pitch. Unless of course as the East and West lower stands moved towards the ends they raised up half a step per seat to eventually reach the correct height? Think that'd look swish as well.

The additional concrete, structural steelwork and strengthening re-bar add to the cost. Then there's the risk of trip hazards as people moved along the rows, probably quite dangerous, especially if the stand had to be evacuated in a hurry. I can't think of any auditorium using 'bucket' seats anywhere that has attempted this other than in small individual partitioned 'boxes' ( eg. St. Davids Concert Hall in Cardiff, Waterfront Hall in Belfast ).

Attachments

• st_davids_hall_cardiff_1.jpg
    st_davids_hall_cardiff_1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 44
  • belfast_waterfront_hall_1.jpg
    belfast_waterfront_hall_1.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Something like this?

No as the North would be higher than the East and West in order for it to be steeper so it would be the opposite that which would block some views unless we found a way to slope the side stands to match.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
The additional concrete, structural steelwork and strengthening re-bar add to the cost. Then there's the risk of trip hazards as people moved along the rows, probably quite dangerous, especially if the stand had to be evacuated in a hurry. I can't think of any auditorium using 'bucket' seats anywhere that has attempted this other than in small individual partitioned 'boxes' ( eg. St. Davids Concert Hall in Cardiff ).

Which is why it wont happen, Would a low grade slope a ml per foot or something? Meaning no step to trip on.

It will never happen as the cost and time would outway the pro's but purely speculation lioke?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If you mean a 'Velodrome' type slope arrangement I doubt you'll ever get it approved by the building inspector ( or de facto the planning authority ) as it would contravene building regs. And generally people don't expect seats to be placed on an inclined surface. I think it could be designed, and if you had more money than Tony Bloom, constructed, but I think most people would complain about having to walk up a slope rather than up steps.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
If you mean a 'Velodrome' type slope arrangement I doubt you'll ever get it approved by the building inspector ( or de facto the planning authority ) as it would contravene building regs. And generally people don't expect seats to be placed on an inclined surface. I think it could be designed, and if you had more money than Tony Bloom, constructed, but I think most people would complain about having to walk up a slope rather than up steps.

Interesting thanks, I know little about planning and building but have a decent imagination and in my mind it would be wonderful. :laugh:

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
I don't really have a problem with the identikit stadiums (except maybe MK Dons), they are well designed, cheap to build and usually miles better than what they have replaced. Don't get me wrong I much prefer having The Amex as a home but I'm not going to continuously try and look down on every other new ground in the country.

This. We were at the Dell, really needed a new ground and paid £32million for a 32,000 seater. Great deal.

It will also be the case that stadiums built over the next 20 years will look like the Amex.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Best attempt at it I can find, but only using temporary staging.

" Ballerup Arena

Project: 2 grandstand platforms of 54m wide and 7 rows height, accommodating 300 seats each.
Challenge: realizing a 600 seat grandstand in an indoor Velodrome
Market: Installations

Creating a grandstand based on the foundations of an indoor Velodrome is a 3D nightmare. But it was exactly this that our StageDex distributor in Denmark, DETO requested. This project involved two galleries each of 300 seats over a length of 54m being installed at the Velodrome. "

If you focus right towards the end of the stand you'll see that the steps, or gradient become progressively higher, if the steps had a constant fall height then you might get away with it, but you'll never be allowed to admit the general public if the step height, or gradient, progressively changes (increases) the closer you get to the end - it will put people off-balance.

Attachments

• tribune4.jpg
    tribune4.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Best attempt at it I can find, but only using temporary staging.

" Ballerup Arena

Project: 2 grandstand platforms of 54m wide and 7 rows height, accommodating 300 seats each.
Challenge: realizing a 600 seat grandstand in an indoor Velodrome
Market: Installations

Creating a grandstand based on the foundations of an indoor Velodrome is a 3D nightmare. But it was exactly this that our StageDex distributor in Denmark, DETO requested. This project involved two galleries each of 300 seats over a length of 54m being installed at the Velodrome. "

If you focus right towards the end of the stand you'll see that the steps, or gradient become progressively higher, if the steps had a constant fall height then you might get away with it, but you'll never be allowed to admit the general public if the step height, or gradient, progressively changes (increases) the closer you get to the end - it will put people off-balance.

That's about as close as you'll get to my image yes. My original point was that it was due to the reasons you've stated that it'll never happen.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
swansea20.jpg

cardiff5.jpg

coventry_city2.jpg

derby32.jpg

doncaster6.jpg

photo5.jpg

king-power-stadium-leicester-east-stand.jpg

photo4.jpg

reading31.jpg

st-marys-southampton0.jpg

mkdons32.jpg

When they are finished you can add Blackpool and Rotherham to that list.

Quality post. There are a lot of stadiums in there that I've thought 'hmm they are alright' but putting them all side by side they there's not a lot to choose from them.

that said, if the Amex had ended up like one of them I would still love it. At the end of the day ANY stadium looks fantastic when it's full.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
one other thing though, how pony are ALL of the seat lettering?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
one other thing though, how pony are ALL of the seat lettering?

Agreed. Hulls is particularly crap lettering with that itallic comic-sans font. RIDICULOUS.

Whoever had the idea of putting seagulls here and there on our seats is a GENIUS who deserves a big kiss.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
PLEASE let that stadium get built. That Kop just looks f***ing MINT.

From my hazy recollection of the site, I'd doubt that there is enough room to accommodate that kind of development around White Hart lane or Tottenham High Road
173017_Tottenham-White-Hart-Lane.jpg

Tottenham-Hotspur-new-stadium-internal1.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here