Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New pub - "North Laine" on the site of Barfly / The Gloucester

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I was just going to correct you then, my fading memory of club nights they all roll into one, but I realised you're right, the rock night WAS Tuesdays. Indeed, I ran my weekday night at the Underground on a Thursday for that very reason (Gloucester on Tuesday, Years on Wednesday, Underground on Thursday). It was Tuesday's I DJ'd at the Gloucester, late 90s, after I'd left the Underground.

My time was early 90's to mid 90's all a haze now, but Thursdays and Friday's used to be my favourite nights

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
This thread got me searching old haunts and found this page:

Reminiscing Part 52

The flyer he has there is for Gremlin and Dave's (the other Dave, Gremlin's name is Dave as well!) night on a Saturday, but I played just about every track on there on Thursday and Friday nights as well. He's done a good job.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
My first experience of Brighton clubbing was Subterfuge at the Gloucester in 1985. Speed, Cider and Killing Joke / Bauhaus / Joy Division. I knew straight away I'd be staying in this town for quite some time!!

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
For a while in the early 1980s it was called Manhatten,and was a gay club.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I remember it as an indie club. I used to love it. House Martins, The Smiths, The Cure etc..

Robin Hood

Dec 4, 2011
It's going to be a great real ale boozer, reminds me a bit of the Hegdhog @ Hove Station. Bring back Brighton Breezy, used to love that ale.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was in there last night. Pretty decent as it goes, could do very well. Nice to see the building in use.

D

Deleted User X18H

Ther Gloucester; sticky floors. Monday nights until 2am. Students, Bohemians, now known as Goths , The Farm and EMF.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Went in yesterday. Brewing stills sit to the left behind the bar area (Laines Micro brewery) in the space that was the old upper seating area in The Gloucester. They have put in a mirrored ceiling above this area which makes it look more impressive and gives you a better view of the brewing area.

They plan to start brewing in 6 weeks time with an IPA and a Stout.

The place itself is huge. Only the bare space layout remains from the Gloucester days. It has been well done out, canteen style benches, bare brick walls and the like and wooden floor throughout. I took advantage of the free Wi-Fi to keep in touch with the football. THought the staff were super friendly and very efficient. Try the home made scotch egg - really good!

They've made a good job of it. Worth a visit IMHO.

dawnie112

Sep 16, 2011
Used to go to the Gloucester with my parents and grandparents when I was a kid. They had a childrens room where I'd sit drinking coke and eating packets of Smiths crisps each containing a blue bag with half a teaspoonful of salt :lolol:

God I remember this childrens room. Me & my sister used to go there with our grandparents. Aah the good old days!!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Went in their last night and was impressed, the brickwork looks great and it seems to draw in a good clientèle too. My only gripe was that it is £4.20 for a pint of Sagres.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Went in their last night and was impressed, the brickwork looks great and it seems to draw in a good clientèle too. My only gripe was that it is £4.20 for a pint of Sagres.
It's a real ale bar old chap. The barmaI'd basically told be they were doing that to subsidise the ale drinkers :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here