Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New pub - "North Laine" on the site of Barfly / The Gloucester

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Enjoyed The Gloucester especially Thursday nights. DJ Gremlin I think the dj called himself.

Gremlin's a mate of mine, he was the founder of Sister Rays in Brighton (mostly at the Underground), he also did Thursdays at the Gloucester for a while. I did Thursdays at the Gloucester myself for a while as well for a year or so some time in the 90s.

Last edited:

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Birds Nest had booths with telephones and was really popular before sliding downmarket,Isacc Hayes,Walk on By was always the last record played in the early days.

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
My friend has just started working there and I can confirm it was open yesterday and is definitely open tonight as I'm going there after work.

what time is it open til on a fri? i live across the road and would be a good place for a beer when i finish late at night.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Surely, you would partake of a swift couple in the King and Queen before diving headlong into The Gloucester.

Indeedy - how very remiss of me to leave that one out! More than a few tactical chunders in there en route :lolol:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
If that was the rock night, I went in there a few times too. I was studying, and had a class on Friday morning from 10.00 till 1.00, but would be so shagged, I'd go and sleep in my car from 11.30 coffee till whenever :lolol:

I would chat to the DJ every now and then, until once, he put a tune on and everybody exited the dancefloor, and my comment of, 'That's a proper floorfiller...' met with a stony look, and he never talked to me again :lolol:

Think rock night was Tuesdays ??

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local

I think the Tuesday was the popular student night. 50p. per shot of Vodka :ohmy:

The Thursday rock night was shortlived, IIRC, due to him playing too many floor-emptiers :lolol:

Would have been 01-02

Was a dude with a bandana, and generic DJ skanky bird...

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Thinking about it, The Hungry Years closed in 01, so there were a few attempts to rekindle the metal spirit, with a very short lived rock night at The Volks, entitled The New Years, that happened about three times...

I met a woman at The Gloucester Thursday rock night, and we went to see AC/DC at Milton Keynes Bowl circa 01/2 again...:guitar:

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus

I was just going to correct you then, my fading memory of club nights they all roll into one, but I realised you're right, the rock night WAS Tuesdays. Indeed, I ran my weekday night at the Underground on a Thursday for that very reason (Gloucester on Tuesday, Years on Wednesday, Underground on Thursday). It was Tuesday's I DJ'd at the Gloucester, late 90s, after I'd left the Underground.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Monday 60s
Tuesday - Students
Wednesday - 70s
Thursday - 80s
Friday / Saturday - Club Nights

That's my vague recollection of it.

I remember having a stand-up row with the DJ on 70s night because he played 'Start!' by The Jam. He - nor the bouncers come to think of it - wasn't having any of my drunken protestations of 'It was released in August of 1980, you fool!'

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Gremlin used to do some floor emptying at the savannah on Monday nights too, any one remember that place?
Around the same time, 89 90 91 ish era. I seem to remember it was even cheaper than the gloucester

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
My haunt of the late 80's and early 90's. Dress down to impress. Great indie music, sticky carpet, gritty wooden dance floor with patterned lights, the stench of fag smoke, a great range of shots (the legendary B52) and cheap drinks. What was not to like?

Bring back the GLOUCESTER GLORY years!

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
used to loved the Gloucester on a saturday night, great indie music and then they ruin it by turning it to an rnb club. that was the demise in my book. never an issue to get in, never saw any trouble cos everyone was so f***ed they couldnt stand. be nice to see this place open and hope they get some decent crowds to see it stay open

This, used to have quality indie and britpop nights in the 90's to early 2000's. Was a dump but used to have a right laugh in there. A Mate of mine was a barman in there while he was actually barred at the same time. He had to leave after his shift and was marched out of the place. But then he usually went to the Volks or Shades at the Pav Tav.

Last edited:

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Just got back - it's very impressive! 4 giant casks behind the bar for the microbrewery, nice decoration throughout and it's absolutely massive!

Plus I got there at half five and it was surprisingly busy considering it only opened yesterday.

As previously mentioned, it is owned by the drink in Brighton lot and I reckon it is going to be pretty popular

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here