Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New pub - "North Laine" on the site of Barfly / The Gloucester

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I've just heard from someone at work that there's some sort of grand opening tonight, though I can't find much about this online (in the quick search I've done).
All I can find is an old article about planning permission being sought Former Brighton night club to reopen as a pub Brighton and Hove News NOTHING about an opening night...

It's about time they did something with the venue - does anyone know anything about this?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ah, The Gloucester .... let the memories flood back!!!

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
I have walked pass this building a few times this week, and it does not look like the refurbishment is complete, so would be surprised if it is opening tonight. There was a sign on the door regarding an opening date. I thought that it said next Friday, but cant be certain I am afraid

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Ah, The Gloucester .... let the memories flood back!!!

Indeed. The dead cert fall-back if none of the other clubs would let you in...!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I have walked pass this building a few times this week, and it does not look like the refurbishment is complete, so would be surprised if it is opening tonight. There was a sign on the door regarding an opening date. I thought that it said next Friday, but cant be certain I am afraid

Thanks.

I find it odd that there's nothing online - even just a web page with "opening soon" & a bit of blurb about what kind of pub it's going to be...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The Gloucester, I remember pulling an absoulte slut in there. the dirtest girl I have ever met on a night out, remember her taking me to sit down and trying to give me a hand shandy, i was only about 18/19 she must of been at least 27. filth.

Snakebites and school disco, by far the biggest dive I have been too.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Now owned by DrinkinBrighton I believe, and has a microbrewery.

The planning application story (link in the OP) said it's Inn Brighton (who I'd never heard of).

DrinkinBrighton, are they the ones who own the fish bowl, freemasons, ancient mariner, the wick?

The Wick is owned/run by the same company that owns/runs the Temple Bar & Good Companions (maybe others too). I thought the freemasons was being run by the people who used to run Geminis (I could well be wrong!).

porkdog

May 9, 2008
by the sea
used to loved the Gloucester on a saturday night, great indie music and then they ruin it by turning it to an rnb club. that was the demise in my book. never an issue to get in, never saw any trouble cos everyone was so f***ed they couldnt stand. be nice to see this place open and hope they get some decent crowds to see it stay open

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Used to go to the Gloucester with my parents and grandparents when I was a kid. They had a childrens room where I'd sit drinking coke and eating packets of Smiths crisps each containing a blue bag with half a teaspoonful of salt :lolol:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The planning application story (link in the OP) said it's Inn Brighton (who I'd never heard of).

The Wick is owned/run by the same company that owns/runs the Temple Bar & Good Companions (maybe others too). I thought the freemasons was being run by the people who used to run Geminis (I could well be wrong!).

That was the case, think its changed hands again, as one of the girls who used to be at the ancient mariner is now in charge at freemasons and they are all linked up in some way.

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
Gets confusing this... Wick, Temple bar, Good Companions, Sovereign and others are Indigo. DrinkInnBrighton or InnBrighton own others mentioned, the Mariner, Shakies, Fishbowl, Western Front and about 20 others.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
used to loved the Gloucester on a saturday night, great indie music and then they ruin it by turning it to an rnb club. that was the demise in my book. never an issue to get in, never saw any trouble cos everyone was so f***ed they couldnt stand. be nice to see this place open and hope they get some decent crowds to see it stay open

It used to be lets have a night at the Arc.

Sorry lads your to shitfaced to get in... well off to the Gloucester then... no problems at all.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
This place...

jg_30_092.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here