Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Plan for the Sports Stadium in Hove

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not exactly a stadium, is it Horton? A two-tier conference suite, and a gross of smelly pissed-up old miseries farting into their deckchairs hardly makes for a Kop, does it?

Which reminds me, I still have to shake my head in utter disbelief - even to this day - when I read a letter in the Argus about 18 months ago from a Sussex member berating the Sussex team for not being worthy champions in 2003. He said we didn't deserve to win it because Surrey were the best side in the country, and our batting and bowling were simply not up to scratch. This was published the day Murray Goodwin clumped that four over mid-wicket to give us the championship against Leicestershire.

"The plans are in their infancy. We will of course be liaising with residents of Ashdown on anything we come forward with.

"They are all members of the club ..."
Outrageous. Does this mean that SCCC members may have to GO INTO THE GROUND to watch their cricket?

The next thing will be that the slumbering masses in their deckchairs will be expected to pay attention to what's going on, instead of just reading about the previous day's play in the Daily Telegraph.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Or Pataudi?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Lord Bracknell said:
Outrageous. Does this mean that SCCC members may have to GO INTO THE GROUND to watch their cricket?

The next thing will be that the slumbering masses in their deckchairs will be expected to pay attention to what's going on, instead of just reading about the previous day's play in the Daily Telegraph.

I hope not Lord B. Don't want that lot sitting in my deckchair interrupting my snoozes!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You might have to go a long way to find a cricketer who's even vaguely left-wing though. Mike Edwards, who was secretary of the players' association in the 60s and 70s, said that it was the only trade union in the county whose members were more right wing than the employers.

SCCC have always had a big problem with NIMBYs - they've been trying to develop that ground for years and keep running into opposition. You'd think the objectors would be dying out by now.

Is there a town in the country that's more blessed with NIMBYs than ours?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Gwylan said:

Is there a town in the country that's more blessed with NIMBYs than ours?

I dont think there is!! Sadly it seems that most people in Brighton are ashamed of our sporting teams down here.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Gwylan said:
You might have to go a long way to find a cricketer who's even vaguely left-wing though.

David Sheppard was a Labour peer once he retired from the Church. Indeed, it was his seeing the conditions in the East End of London, as well as his Christian faith, that made him join the Church.

Gwylan said:
Is there a town in the country that's more blessed with NIMBYs than ours? [/B]

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with Laura here :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
If I was Sussex CCC I would be tempted to leave Hove ! Crawley Council seem to get behind their sport.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
West Hoathly Seagull said:
David Sheppard was a Labour peer once he retired from the Church. Indeed, it was his seeing the conditions in the East End of London, as well as his Christian faith, that made him join the Church.

Yeah, but the COPB had already mentioned Shephard. It's hard to think of another one.

BAG's right: it's just NIMBYism, there's a lack of pride in sporting teams. We all know about the Albion but Sussex haven't had it easier. They can't develop the ground and Hove and they lost a wonderful ground in Hastings. It's pity there weren't enough NIMBYs in Hastings to stop that demolition; although it seems that development is OK, if it's a shopping centre and office blocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here