Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] New oven - advice

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My 20 year old dual fuel range oven has died so i'm looking for a new one.

Probably would like to replace with a similar 100cm wide , dual fuel, (gas hobs, electric oven) and i'd like to instal a new extractor fan at the same time. (as that packed up a while ago).

I'd need a recylcing/installation deal (or is it better to do that yourself with local electricians etc ? )

I'm expecting to pay £1K-1.5K

My oven repairer said in terms of brands that Leisure was good value. and steered me clear of Smeg (overpriced) . But thats about as far as i go with my knowledge of oven brands.

Also any good thoughts on supplier. I'd like to buy it and pay it off either 6 months or 12 months interest free . So won't be paying the ££ upfront. Who is good at offering that ? I usually get my appliances in the past from john Lewis or Currys but haven't tried your AO etc

It gets a lot of use . Fair few roasts, baking, grilling.

thanks NSC in advance.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Probably would like to replace with a similar 100cm wide , dual fuel, (gas hobs, electric oven) and i'd like to instal a new extractor fan at the same time. (as that packed up a while ago).

I'd need a recylcing/installation deal (or is it better to do that yourself with local electricians etc ? )

My oven repairer said in terms of brands that Leisure was good value. and steered me clear of Smeg (overpriced) . But thats about as far as i go with my knowledge of oven brands.

Also any good thoughts on supplier. I'd like to buy it and pay it off either 6 months or 12 months interest free . So won't be paying the ££ upfront. Who is good at offering that ? I usually get my appliances in the past from john Lewis or Currys but haven't tried your AO etc

thanks NSC in advance.
Our AEG BSK882320M is a pile of poo. Steer clear. Whenever you open the door and any steam comes out it triggers to touch control buttons and turns itself off. My sister has the same one and does the same thing.

Get a pyrolytic cleaning oven - I wouldn’t buy another oven without this feature.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I've a Rangemaster gas hob, electric ovens. When I bought it they also had an offer on the matching extractor. Might be a bit over your budget now, but you'll have it for another 20 years at least. Been very happy with it, small oven is excellent, grill can be aggressive.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
For an oven that size just make sure it draws a lot of power. There's a fair few that size made to only draw 13A which while it makes any need for new wiring incredibly unlikely take an absolute f***ing age to get hot.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
From someone I know who used to be involved in warranties

Good Quality - Miele, AEG, Bosch/neff
Poor Quality - Indesit/Hotpoint/whirlpool

Don't know if this helps :shrug:
Fair observations although I can only comment from the experience of washer dryers which to be fair are notoriously unreliable. We've had a Bosch one for a 4 years now and it's indestructible compared to Zanussi of which two machines only lasted two years. Miele are great but initial outlay is expensive. Additionally, if they do need servicing a lot of tradesman don't like working on them and parts are expensive.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Our AEG BSK882320M is a pile of poo. Steer clear. Whenever you open the door and any steam comes out it triggers to touch control buttons and turns itself off. My sister has the same one and does the same thing.

Get a pyrolytic cleaning oven - I wouldn’t buy another oven without this feature.
We have Neff (two ovens). Installed around 6 years ago. Absolutely perfect. We have a pyrolytic cleaning mechanism in the big oven but I've used it only twice in all this time. Purely because it hogs time to do and probably uses a rainforest of power. 450 degrees and all that. But it works brilliantly. Dirt converted to white powder that wipes off.

To the OP why do you want a gas hob? Gas is old tech. A nice ceramic hob (Neff again) does the job. My mate has an induction hob but it only works with inducible pots and pans and I wasn't keen on changing mine. Plus the hob was twice the cost of a regular radiating hob.

John Lewis has a sale on. Oddly all their Neff hobs are induction. The one ceramic hob (mch cheaper) is unavailable. Have induction hobs cornered the market now? Perhaps a clever boys can update me?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We have Neff (two ovens). Installed around 6 years ago. Absolutely perfect. We have a pyrolytic cleaning mechanism in the big oven but I've used it only twice in all this time. Purely because it hogs time to do and probably uses a rainforest of power. 450 degrees and all that. But it works brilliantly. Dirt converted to white powder that wipes off.

To the OP why do you want a gas hob? Gas is old tech. A nice ceramic hob (Neff again) does the job. My mate has an induction hob but it only works with inducible pots and pans and I wasn't keen on changing mine. Plus the hob was twice the cost of a regular radiating hob.

John Lewis has a sale on. Oddly all their Neff hobs are induction. The one ceramic hob (mch cheaper) is unavailable. Have induction hobs cornered the market now? Perhaps a clever boys can update me?

Induction hobs all the way now. A lot more efficient than ceramic or gas hobs and heat things up way quicker too.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You say you want a gas hob and electric ovens. I always thought that but by mistake purchased a gas hob and gas ovens range. The ovens take a bit of getting used to after electric but I'm never switching back.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

We have a new kitchen and an induction hob. When we were looking at kitchens this is all that was available. Works very well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Lovely fridges though

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If you want dual fuel, we had a Rangemaster and it was excellent. Only switched away because we had a new kitchen and an induction hob seemed the futureproof option (we like those too).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

thanks NSC in advance.
We’ve got pretty much what say you’re looking for - a 100cm Leisure Cuisinemaster (3 ovens plus grill, 5 gas burners, one electric with small and large hobs plus an iron grill plate). Very happy with it - had it a few years now without any issues at all. Ovens heat up quickly (often use the small one which is very efficient), temps are accurate and it’s big enough for anything we’ve needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here