Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Laws of the Game

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's a new season about to start, and with that comes the updated laws of the game.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/81/42/36/lawsofthegame_2012_e.pdf

As they do, new laws are marked in the margin, and so these are them...

If a named substitute enters the field of play instead of a named player at the start of the match and the referee is not informed of this change:
-the referee allows the named substitute to continue the match
-no disciplinary sanction is taken against the named substitute
-the number of substitutions allowed by the offending team is not reduced
-the referee reports the incident to the appropriate authorities​

So, essentially, nothing happens.

An addition to the player equipment law (the one that says under shorts/shirts have to be he same colour as the main colour of the shirt/shorts)
stockings- if tape or similar material is applied externally it must be the same colour as that part of the stocking it is applied to​

For drop balls:
If the ball enters the goal:
-if a dropped ball is kicked directly into the opponents' goal, a goal kick is awarded
-if a dropped ball is kicked directly into the team's own goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opposing team​
Has this ever happened?

On advertising:
Advertising on the ground shall be at least 1m (1yd) from the boundary lines of the field of play.

Upright advertising shall be at least:
-1m (1yd) from the touch lines of the field of play
-the same distance from the goal line as the depth of the goal net, and
-1m (1yd) from the goal net​

On 'Other equipment':
The use of electronic communication systems between players and/or technical staff is not permitted​
Does this include the use of ipads etc. to look at penalties while waiting for the penalty shot out to start?

On cautions for deliberately handling the ball:
deliberately handles the ball to prevent an opponent gaining possession​
Only change here is to remove "and blatantly"

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The drop ball bit probably covers the stupid situation of giving the ball back to an opponent who then humps it forward to the keeper or out of play. If the ball went into the net it woul dhave been a goal, but not now.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
On 'Other equipment':
The use of electronic communication systems between players and/or technical staff is not permitted​
Does this include the use of ipads etc. to look at penalties while waiting for the penalty shot out to start?

I don't think so, I think it would only count if a system (such as an earpiece or something) was being used to give instructions?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
So no update on the rule where you can be offside from a throw-in?

Perhaps the ref we had for the game V hull needs to be updated on that one!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
So no update on the rule where you can be offside from a throw-in?

Perhaps the ref we had for the game V hull needs to be updated on that one!

I thought it was the linesman who flagged it and the ref ignored him?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
More like the linesman who flagged it and the West Stand who very noisily reminded him...

I remember shouting "YOU CAN'T BE OFFSIDE FROM A THROW-IN YOU INCOMPETENT TWAT"

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Think I went for the traditional "utter moron". Have to say I'd completely forgotten about the incident but I was furious at the time.

I remember it well, all of us in the East were adament he hadn't attempted to flag offside from the throw in. We agreed there is no possible way he had done that, something else must have gone on. How wrong we were!

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
The drop ball bit probably covers the stupid situation of giving the ball back to an opponent who then humps it forward to the keeper or out of play. If the ball went into the net it woul dhave been a goal, but not now.

Can NSC launch a campaign to make every drop ball contested? Not enough of this anymore IMHO and far too many drop balls following 'injuries'...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Presumably the rule relating to the subs means that if a player picks up a small knock in the warm up you can start with a sub and, if possible, bring on the injured player later. Also, if that is the case, would it not be possible to name your starting 11 and then when you see the opponents 11, make some adjustments using your subs before the game starts? It says no action is taken at the time but that it is later reported to the appropriate authorities but does not say what punishments might be.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Presumably the rule relating to the subs means that if a player picks up a small knock in the warm up you can start with a sub and, if possible, bring on the injured player later. Also, if that is the case, would it not be possible to name your starting 11 and then when you see the opponents 11, make some adjustments using your subs before the game starts? It says no action is taken at the time but that it is later reported to the appropriate authorities but does not say what punishments might be.

Yeah, that's what I meant by nothing happens, no punishment, it seems open to abuse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here