Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New ground for Liverpool ruled out - can we really expect Falmer anytime soon?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
May have been mentioned on here but I couldn't see it for all the Harty threads...

Rick Parry announced last week that plans for the new ground for Liverpool have been shelved for the time being due to the current economic climate.

If Liverpool are having seconds thoughts what hope do we have for financing Falmer?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No no no Richie. You don't understand. The fact that Liverpool are shelving their plans is EXCELLENT news for Falmer and another one in the eye for that liar, Arthur.

;)

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
May have been mentioned on here but I couldn't see it for all the Harty threads...

Rick Parry announced last week that plans for the new ground for Liverpool have been shelved for the time being due to the current economic climate.

If Liverpool are having seconds thoughts what hope do we have for financing Falmer?

difference is they are planning the new staduim, we are already close to start of construction. From my understanding, finance has always been pretty much in place. Maybe Lord B can confirm

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I made this very point last week in a posting about Falmer.

NSC and other Albion fans alike are totally in the dark as to whether the present board will be able to deliver the stadium on time.

It would be nice to have an official statement to clarify the position, and I feel for those 3 year season ticket holders who might have expected for Year 3 to be in Falmer.

My feeling as a qualified accountant not in possession of the facts but familiar with the climate and the fact the Board collectively have input all their available capital and haven't got a pot to piss in is that the project WILL get delivered, albeit late, and only with the help of a rich benefactor joining the Board.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Apparently the credit crunch is badly affecting Merseyside as the scousers have nothing else to nick.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No point burgling Katona's pad either, she's bankrupt as well...

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Also I think that the unstability and bank loans that Liverpool have also affect things. They are already in a fair amount of debt allegedly so may be viewed as more of a risk.

Also with the owners being American, they may have suffered more in the redit crunch depending on what their investments are.

Liverpool's stadium plans were so intertwined with private sector input into regeneration that it was inevitable that they'd be hit by the credit crunch.

Falmer is entirely different.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Erm, it should be noted that Liverpool already have a dirty great big stadium to play at, so don't actually NEED to move at the minute.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I made this very point last week in a posting about Falmer.

NSC and other Albion fans alike are totally in the dark as to whether the present board will be able to deliver the stadium on time.

It would be nice to have an official statement to clarify the position, and I feel for those 3 year season ticket holders who might have expected for Year 3 to be in Falmer.

My feeling as a qualified accountant not in possession of the facts but familiar with the climate and the fact the Board collectively have input all their available capital and haven't got a pot to piss in is that the project WILL get delivered, albeit late, and only with the help of a rich benefactor joining the Board.

Martin Perry speaking on the radio last week said Falmer was `immune` from the credit crunch. That was his actual word. I don't quite understand how it can be - obviously it indicates there's plenty of grant money been promised plus education related funding. That said, if a week's a long time in the economy at the moment - what he said last week could be out of date by now. I'm sure Lakshmi Mittal could back that up: he's gone from being worth 33 billion pounds in the summer to 12 billion now (according to today's reports). How fare our directors and our potential investors???

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

Why do all journos get SO excited at the prospect of bad news?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I think the main point to take from that post is that nobody on here is in posession of the facts. There are a few who can make a better educated guess than others but that is is.
Yes the whole financial situation is worrying, but what can we do about it? All we can do is trust the people in charge and hope they come up with the goods. If they don't, which is entirely possible, then we can have a witch hunt, but until then I'm going to err on the side of blind faith and assume that finances are in place.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think the main point to take from that post is that nobody on here is in posession of the facts. There are a few who can make a better educated guess than others but that is is.
Yes the whole financial situation is worrying, but what can we do about it? All we can do is trust the people in charge and hope they come up with the goods. If they don't, which is entirely possible, then we can have a witch hunt, but until then I'm going to err on the side of blind faith and assume that finances are in place.

Spot on, plus we only say less than 3 months to find out as I cant see the Buckingham group doing anywork unless they know that they are gonna get paid for it

Albion Rob

I'd have thought the fact Liverpool have a perfectly good stadium and get 40,000 through the gates every week whereas we play at an athletics track and are totally unattractive to the floating fan because of it is also a part of the answer here.

Liverpool's dilemma is about expansion, ours is about need.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Martin Perry speaking on the radio last week said Falmer was `immune` from the credit crunch.

These are the sorts of comments that worry me.

All building and construction firms are really feeling the pinch. A firm in my town that have been in business since pre-WW2 just went bankrupt. Who's to say the firm lined up to build Falmer won't be affected?

Who's to say sufficient monies will be generated from the naming rights? Paying a large sum in today's climate guarantees no definite return for the provider.

Liverpool's dilemma is that to fund the new stadium they need to sell the existing one. And the credit crunch means that no-one is interested in buying it, at the price that Liverpool expected.

Simple, really.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Liverpool's dilemma is that to fund the new stadium they need to sell the existing one. And the credit crunch means that no-one is interested in buying it, at the price that Liverpool expected.

Weren't Everton looking for a new ground nearby?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Liverpool's stadium plans were so intertwined with private sector input into regeneration that it was inevitable that they'd be hit by the credit crunch.

Falmer is entirely different.

Your Lordship

Could you confirm whether the initial infrastructure works to be started in December are being paid for by the club or by the SEEDA grant? Also will the Buckingham Group do these works or a seperate contractor?

Thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here