Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Drivers. a cautionary tale.

Did you know that if you collect 6 points or more in your first two years of driving you have to re- take your theory and practical tests and are banned from driving until you've done so ? Well nor did I.

I passed eighteen months ago and had picked up 3 points for going through an amber, but driving back from the Reading game got flashed on road works on the M25 doing 47mph in a 40 zone.
The morning of the Falmer decision I had half an hour of celebration then opened my post. I got a nice letter from the DVLA telling me to return my licence and pass certificates for car and bike and not to drive. Bloody big come- down, I can tell you.

If I'd known about this rule I wouldn't have filled in the fixed penalty form, I would have appealed or I would have found a nice friend willing to take the points for me.
It's going to cost me loads now for a provisional license, theory test, practical test, a couple of hours tuition to iron out bad habits and the inevitable hike in my insurance. It totally ruined what should have been a very happy day and I'm now back to public transport and seeing as I did over 25000 miles in my first year adds up to a lot of waiting around for late trains and non existant buses.
So if you've passed in the last couple of years try and not get points and if you do be carefull what you do about them.
:(

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Well, I knew about the rule. My driving instructor told me about it, and I passed in February 2005. So 9 months ago.....So far so good, and touch wood nothin happens.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I know. They told me when i passed my test last month. Its a good rule really bit harsh if you didn't know tho!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Bad luck - I passed in March and the thought of having to go back to reversing around corners on wet Tuesdays in Hangleton certainly concentrates the mind. Just look at the Argus: every weekend recently there's been crashes in Sussex and every it seems to involve teenagers.

But...I can't believe that your examiner and/or driving instructor didn't warn you about that law when you passed? Although I'd admit it's definitely not as widely known as it ought to be - people look with some astonishment when I tell them about it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Curious Orange said:
What's a theory test?

You are waiting at a pedestrian crossing while an OAP crosses slowly. Do you A) Rev your engine B) Beep your horn C) Yell "shift yer arse granpa" out the window D) wait patiently.

That sort of thing, plus a video game involving children chasing footballs into the road etc.

Man of Harveys said:
You are waiting at a pedestrian crossing while an OAP crosses slowly. Do you A) Rev your engine B) Beep your horn C) Yell "shift yer arse granpa" out the window D) wait patiently.

That sort of thing, plus a video game involving children chasing footballs into the road etc.

Sums it up really. I had a question in my bike test which was. When riding a motorcycle why is it best to wear yellow high vis clothing ?
a because it looks good
b it repells water
c It enables other drivers to see you properly so reducing the risk of accident.

Followed by. Whats the most effective colour for high vis accident reducing clothing.

When I was leaving I got chatting to a couple of lads both who had failed.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Franks Wild Years said:
Sums it up really. I had a question in my bike test which was. When riding a motorcycle why is it best to wear yellow high vis clothing ?
a because it looks good
b it repells water
c It enables other drivers to see you properly so reducing the risk of accident.

Followed by. Whats the most effective colour for high vis accident reducing clothing.

When I was leaving I got chatting to a couple of lads both who had failed.

Half a story's no good...give us the answers or I'll be thinking about them all day.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
???

You might want to check that out properly, as im certain that you do not receive points for exceeding a temporary speed limit, only a fine.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
you can get points aswell - the M25's a bastard at the moment - for all driving to cardiff watch out for the M4s speed cameras, there mounted on the back of the big traffic information signs and can measure average speeds over a fixed distance :angry:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Man of Harveys said:
plus a video game involving children chasing footballs into the road etc.

What if you're utterly crap at driving games (but able to drive) then?

Theory test here is just pretty easy questions. No hassle, really - yet I know someone who failed FOUR TIMES.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Man of Harveys said:

One of the questions on my theory test was what is the speed limit on a motorway for a car?! :shootself

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
MYOB said:
What if you're utterly crap at driving games (but able to drive) then?

Theory test here is just pretty easy questions. No hassle, really - yet I know someone who failed FOUR TIMES.
I went to school with someone who had failed 5 times! Once was because he refused to turn into a road when instructed. The reason? Because he saw it was a dead end and thought it was a trick question! Didnt occur to him that the instructor wanted to do the three point turn in it! :lolol: :dunce:

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Scarface said:
I went to school with someone who had failed 5 times! Once was because he refused to turn into a road when instructed. The reason? Because he saw it was a dead end and thought it was a trick question! Didnt occur to him that the instructor wanted to do the three point turn in it! :lolol: :dunce:
:D

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
My old boss took his test in Worthing, aka God's waiting room - "Dover for the continent, Worthing for the incontinent" etc etc. Soon into his test, an old bloke took a good minute or two to shuffle into the middle of a zebra crossing - then CHANGED HIS MIND and turned back again...

Oddly enough, the DVLA appears to be of the opinion that shouting "you stupid old f**king c**t" out of a car window on your driving test is sufficient for them to fail you - despite my mate immediately assuring the examiner that he was "not really like that normally"...:shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here