Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New car advice

Right - stage one of surviving redundancy is complete by getting a new job. This does mean however, that I need to buy my own car for the first time in 11 years. Before anyone suggests it, I'm not going to buy a batmobile just because Easy 10 says I should but it would be nice to supplement the magazines with some real world experiences before choosing a couple to test drive. What I am looking for is something between £8000 and £10000, that is cheap to run, cheap to tax and will get me from Hailsham to Crawley and back every day. I've had some nice cars over the years but I'm not really a car person so all I really want is something with Air Con, somewhere to plug my IPod in and something I can get my 6ft1, 16 stone frame into without folding myself in half. So something like a C1, C3, Panda type thing. Hyundais seem popular in the mags but I know nothing about them.

So - anyone got any experiences good or bad of new cars in this kind of ball park?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Have you considered a recent 2nd hand Audi/ VW/ Seat/Skoda diesel? The VW group make great basic cars for people who just want reliability and are much better put together than just about any other comparable European car and most Far Eastern cars. Why buy new when you can get a much better car that's about a year old for the same price? Probably be worth more than a new today Citroen or cheap Far Eastern car in 3 years as well.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Have you considered a recent 2nd hand Audi/ VW/ Seat/Skoda diesel? The VW group make great basic cars for people who just want reliability and are much better put together than just about any other comparable European car and most Far Eastern cars. Why buy new when you can get a much better car that's about a year old for the same price? Probably be worth more than a new today Citroen or cheap Far Eastern car in 3 years as well.

Agree, can certainly recommend Seat too. For that budget should be able to get a recent Leon or similar from a dealer (Frosts over here.) On that mileage go Diesel too. I had a Ibiza 2.0 Sport Tdi and it was a very nippy 'fun' car, but insurance was good, never had a problem with it and all round good!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Your loss - those of us in the know are all driving around in second hand batmobiles, with our NSC usernames painted on the back. I also have a nice little sideline in office lunchtime supplies, that I flog from my vehicle.:thumbsup: Hope this helps

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
"So something like a C1, C3, Panda type thing. Hyundais seem popular in the mags but I know nothing about them."

They are crap and will not last 2 years..

Buy something german,vauxhall or jap.....not french crap or korean

If the C3 and Panda "will not last 2 years" why did they come with 4 and 5 year warranties respectively in most of Europe when new?

C3 and C4 are rock solid, not even for citroens, but for cars in general. A C4 diesel is basically indestructable

Panda is in the top ten most reliable cars in Top Gear's survey, Germany's ADAC survey (their AA), etc, etc.

Koreans would be more reliable than Japanese now, too. Subaru have soft engines, Toyota doesn't even need going in to, etc. VW leave a LOT to be desired over their reputation

Any chance your "knowledge" about cars is a decade or more out of date?

Cars, any car, will generally be a hell of a lot more reliable and require less maintanence than anything from pre 2000, to the point that you can buy pretty much any new car and not expect it to require major warranty work. Except possibly an MG TF...

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

I would echo STAY AWAY from french and far east cars in general, german and japs are best. Goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal get in there Tommy, back to thread.

If your not worried about image you will have a job to beat the Skoda fabia estate tdi we have one and get 60mpg on longish runs and never replaced anything apart from wear and tear items.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
If the C3 and Panda "will not last 2 years" why did they come with 4 and 5 year warranties respectively in most of Europe when new?

C3 and C4 are rock solid, not even for citroens, but for cars in general. A C4 diesel is basically indestructable

Panda is in the top ten most reliable cars in Top Gear's survey, Germany's ADAC survey (their AA), etc, etc.

Koreans would be more reliable than Japanese now, too. Subaru have soft engines, Toyota doesn't even need going in to, etc. VW leave a LOT to be desired over their reputation

Any chance your "knowledge" about cars is a decade or more out of date?

My old man had a Hyundai and seeing that piece of shit fall to pieces around him I would never buy one( thats only a few years ago)

I would never buy French as a matter of principle....

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Agree, can certainly recommend Seat too. For that budget should be able to get a recent Leon or similar from a dealer (Frosts over here.) On that mileage go Diesel too. I had a Ibiza 2.0 Sport Tdi and it was a very nippy 'fun' car, but insurance was good, never had a problem with it and all round good!

Just bought a Seat Leon from Frosts, 18 months old 11.5k, 2 litre turbo diesel. Absolutely spanking car. Had a C4 on hire while in France last year which was another good to drive, comfortable car.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Buy something german,vauxhall or jap.....not french crap or korean

this, except the vauxhall bit.

My family have taken to skodas after years of being VW nuts, they seem pretty reliable without the badge premium.

though personally i'd rather not buy new. get something low mileage/FSH 1 owner thats 3-4 years old, much more for your money or much cheaper. Hailsham-Crawley is fair slog each so you'd probably want something a little bigger (both size and engine) than those you mention.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Nissan is the dogs!

We love our Note

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here