Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New alternative to Falmer

Yoda

English & European
From the letters page in the Argus

Next to the junction between the A27 and the A26 is a large, derelict site which is big enough to build a stadium for Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club.

At present it is often full of wrecked cars as people use it as a racetrack.

I don't know who owns it but it has an entrance off the A26 and the railway line is next to it. Perfect.

Also, there are no houses for miles and it can't be seen from the main road so it wouldn't bother anybody.

:shootself

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Where is the plan?

Where are the maps?

What size is the area?

Are you talking about a remote football stadium or an incinerator?

Who are the land owners?

What is it zoned for in the Lewes Local Plan?

Is it in the coastal regeneration zone area?

Is it in an AONB?

What other developments would be allowed to justify a railway station (needs 250,000 passengers a year)?

Is it near where the football fans actually live, thereby complying with transport policies and being economically feasible?

What are the costs of installing a road junction and roads (cost £2 million plus a kilometre single carriageway and the developers pay for this).

I am open minded, but my feeling it is too far off the beaten track to be appealing. And any proponent would at least have to do their homework by drawing up a plan, identifying the landowners, identifying the additional businesses needed to make it economic, and probably, most of all, making it popular with the majority of the Albion supporters.

My feeling it is miles too far out.

Last edited:

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Does she mean somewhere near Beddingam or amI missing the point?
:dunce:

If it's Southerham Grey Pit, it's a Site of Special Scientific Interest. It's in the AONB and the only "zoning" in the current Local Plan is as countryside. The key planning policy for land designated as countryside in the Local Plan is that "development would normally be unacceptable unless it is for uses compatible with the countryside". Lewes District Council's policy for the AONB is that "Major development would be incompatible with the protection of the character of the AONB. Only a demonstrable national need and lack of alternative sites could justify any exception".

I think Lewes District Council might have other long-term plans for the Grey Pit. If the Highways Agency had any sense, they'd want it for a future road scheme.

It's owned by the Firle Estate, I believe.

Last edited:

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
Thanks LB

I know where you mean

Right in Norman Bakers back yard!!!!

He'll be well happy with that!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
wahay

I feel another Andy Horton absolute bollox ego trip coming on

:salute: :salute: :salute:

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Can't see Lewes District Council granting planning permission somehow.

But I'd love to see the Club propose it at the public enquiry just to see the look on Baker's & LDC representatives faces - it would certainly please Falmer PC.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The first problem with this site is that its not in Brighton. The second problem is that its not in Brighton.

I know its the same problem, but feel its important enough to mention twice.

Heffle Gull

JCL since 1979
Feb 5, 2004
Heathfield
I think we should all write to the Argus with suggestions of random parcels of land that may or may not be up for grabs

my own suggestion is the old Gas works in Heathfield.

Been derelict for years and is next to a railway line.

well ok the railway line was ripped up in the 60's but why let a few details get in the way!!! surely the club can afforsd to build a new railway line!!!
:lolol:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Norman Baker's back garden is my preferred site...

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Yoda said:
Also, there are no houses for miles and it can't be seen from the main road so it wouldn't bother anybody.[/i]
What the f*** difference it makes that the stadium cant be seen from a road baffles me.

'Oh look dear how upsetting, a football stadium'

'Yes dear, lets get the Austin Maxi back and into the car port, straight away before we encounter anymore roadside trauma'

I thought the ARGUS contact people who write letters these days to check they havent been sectioned???

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think the words used are 'in the Brighton & Hove conurbation'

conurbation

noun {C} FORMAL

a city area containing a large number of people, formed by various towns growing and joining together:

Does the 8 mile rule from the Pavilion still apply?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Considering Lewes Council are opposing us putting a road junction on their land at Falmer I think the chances of them letting us build the whole stadium right outside the town are nil.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here