Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New 7in tablet

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I noticed in the papers that there is a new 7 inch tablet being launched on 25th Jan in PC World Currys, Tesco and Argos at only £99 will this be the start of I pads etc coming down in price due to competition.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is said to be coming out because most children now need one for school. In fact my nephews school in Worthing insist on an I pad as part of their uniform.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
iPads wont drop in price. Apple build their image on being a premium brand they dont compete on price. you can get a decent desktop pc for laptop for £400, while Apple products start at twice as much.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If this isn't a joke, the world's gone mad.

It isnt a joke as I am told by my sister in law that her sons children were told by their junior school that if they go to Chatsmore school in Goring as their secondary school they will have to buy an I pad as part of their new uniform. One of her friends had 2 children change school at September and had to take out a loan to buy 2 I pads.

u

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It isnt a joke as I am told by my sister in law that her sons children were told by their junior school that if they go to Chatsmore school in Goring as their secondary school they will have to buy an I pad as part of their new uniform. One of her friends had 2 children change school at September and had to take out a loan to buy 2 I pads.

u

Do they need an iPad or any old 7" tablet? Because you can already buy tablets for £50 new.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

u
How is it part of their "uniform". Where exactly do they wear the IPad?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

u

This is just wrong IMO, do they specify iPad or can it be an equivalent? Not many people can fork out £300 minimum on what is a complete luxury product that nobody 'really' needs.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

u

I've just had a look out of curiosity and can see no mention of this or anything close to it on the website of the school in question, and the 'uniform policy' PDF available on there makes no mention of it either. :shrug:

Are you sure that it's not just a case that the kids wanted iPads and have lied to their (in this case it would have to be very gullible) mother to get them?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do they need an iPad or any old 7" tablet? Because you can already buy tablets for £50 new.

She didn't go into whether or not it was stipulated actual I pad or a tablet but she said I pad but that was possibly a generic term as in buying a hoover when we really mean buying a vacuum cleaner.

2nd point where can you buy a new 7in tablet for £50

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The same happened three decades ago when calculators became part of the curriculum, it's just an extension of that I guess. I remember thinking the world had gone mad when calculators were allowed!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

I am sure people tell you the most ridiculous stories they can think of to see if you bite (you always do).

There is nothing on the Chatsmore website that mentions this iPad thing. They even have a copy of their uniform policy and there is nothing there. I am pretty certain that if a school started insisting parents buy their children a premium tablet for school use then news of this new policy would make the media very quickly.

A more likely story is that the school have got a batch of iPad's for students to use in certain lessons (I know quite a lot of schools are going down this path) and a game of chinese whispers has resulted in the story BG has been told.

Edit - didn't see the other posts of a similar nature that appeared while I was typing this one up.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I noticed in the papers that there is a new 7 inch tablet being launched on 25th Jan in PC World Currys, Tesco and Argos at only £99 will this be the start of I pads etc coming down in price due to competition.

No. Because this tablet will be SHITHOUSE compared to an iPad.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must admit that I haven't checked this out as I have no young children so it doesn't really affect me and am only passing on what I was told by my sister in law in general conversation. I did mention this to my daughter in law who said her sister had to have a laptop with a specified operating system, so had to be newish, when she reached 13 yrs of at Oakmeads School in Burgess Hill, again I have no personal experience of this.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The day will come, I have no doubt, when, like calculators, each pupil will need a computing device of some sort or other, probably sooner rather than later.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
2nd point where can you buy a new 7in tablet for £50
Have a look on ebay. Loads of on-line shops selling them for around that price although some of them will be shit for that price.

At Xmas, after reading the reviews, I bought my two kids an Arnova 7" tablet each from Maplins for £70 each (although I got a voucher code meaning they actually only cost me £63 each). I was wary, but so far they have been absolutely superb value for the money with no issues at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here