Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nest it empty and I feel like shit!

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Son moved in with girl friend today, lovely girl, superb flat, son has just got really good job, very proud of him, so I should feel really pleased that he is independent and we have done a good job as parents! so why ffs do I feel like shit?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Basic bereavement - someone who has probably been around you virtually every day for many years is suddenly not there and there is a void in your life.

Give it a few days and you'll appreciate the great job you have done as a parent (and the missus will start planning what is happening with his old room and keep you busy with that!)

Last edited:

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Perhaps its because you've now served your purpose in life, and you've been left with the hollow feeling of job done, what next?

Chin up though mate, this'll pass and you'll be flying again.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Sounds like you like being needed, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Now just carry on setting a good example, and you kid will always be around!

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Open a bottle of something and drink to his health and future, and to your good parenting.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Son moved in with girl friend today, lovely girl, superb flat, son has just got really good job, very proud of him, so I should feel really pleased that he is independent and we have done a good job as parents! so why ffs do I feel like shit?

You've just knobbed his GF?

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
YOU will have grandkids to look after soon :thumbsup:

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
When you coming home, son? I don't know when
But we'll be together then

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Back to the origional point (but the vid was great!), we had this when our last lad left home, many years ago.

As I had moved in with Mrs and 'inherited' 2 kids, it was the 1st time we had actually lived as just the two of us and, after many years together with often the kids being the glue that kept us together, it was tough. Empty nest syndrome, it does exist.

Anyway, after a while we discovered we could go out, eat out & not worry about being home to do something for the kids and we actually began to have a social life, of sorts.

But it didn't last long. The high cost of living plus the new generation of g/kids mean I now have 2 adult sons back at home and loads of g/kids to worry about.

So, my advice is enjoy this time, it may only last a few months!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...(and the missus will start planning what is happening with his old room and keep you busy with that!)

yeah, so you better stop mopping around and get in there first developing your MAN CAVE.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
I know exactly where you're coming from. It's the end of a (hopefully happy) chapter in your life, and who really knows what's to come. I still miss having my son around for a bit of male banter, though pleased he's moved on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here