Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nativity season

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
O.k parents it's time to show off, what part did your little cherubs play.
My boy is 4 and had his 1st nativity and he was picked to play Joseph. He didn't actually have to say anything, just stand and look sweet next to the manger. Even had his photo in the paper today, I'm proud as punch.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Mine was a shepherd. Teatowel on the head with headband around it, oversize stripy T-shirt, bare feet, job done! just like an authentic Tuareg shepherd, probably. He seemed to enjoy it though, sang his heart out and scratched his arse a few times much to my amusement and my wife's horror.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Our school's never had a nativity play (at least not since my kids have been there). Just come back from seeing them do Alice in Wonderland - and very good it was too. My daughter was a flower and my son was the Two of Diamonds, with lethal looking spear.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Mine was a shepherd. Teatowel on the head with headband around it, oversize stripy T-shirt, bare feet, job done! just like an authentic Tuareg shepherd, probably. He seemed to enjoy it though, sang his heart out and scratched his arse a few times much to my amusement and my wife's horror.

Lovely stuff, did literally make me laugh out loud.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Millie who is 7 was an astranaught in the school nativity - quite where an astranaught fitted in with the Christmas story was odd but it was based on an outof this world experience - very good and she was complimented on how great she looked in her silver jump suit - great singing and I had an little tear in my eye as it will be her last key stage 1 nativity!!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Millie who is 7 was an astranaught in the school nativity - quite where an astranaught fitted in with the Christmas story was odd but it was based on an outof this world experience - very good and she was complimented on how great she looked in her silver jump suit - great singing and I had an little tear in my eye as it will be her last key stage 1 nativity!!

Chris De Bogs - spaceman came travelling maybe!

Step son played a Christmas tree 3 years running!
Daughter played Mary
Son played a king

thats the highlights of the Burberry/Cowling family exploits

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
not sure what school, but my mates kids school doesnt do nativitys....as it may offend muslim familys

In my experience, Muslim people are quite happy or apathetic about Christmas celebrations and are quite bemused when a White, right on types ban the word Christmas and use "holidays" and Call Christmas lights "luminous".

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Our school's never had a nativity play (at least not since my kids have been there). Just come back from seeing them do Alice in Wonderland - and very good it was too. My daughter was a flower and my son was the Two of Diamonds, with lethal looking spear.

I remember my school doing Alice in Wonderland when I was about 6, I played the key role of 'Shredded Wheat'. I know, it's the part EVERY kid wants and I was lucky enough to be cast.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
not sure what school, but my mates kids school doesnt do nativitys....as it may offend muslim familys

Not calling you a liar, but being a school governor and reading all the gumph that comes from local and central government, there is nothing whatsoever that precludes religious plays or festivals being celebrated.

Is this a local school? Was it a decision taken by the governors?

As for offending Muslims, Jesus was a Islamic prophet.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Live in a Muslim country, and our son's nursery just did a Christmas concert. Ok it was Santa and Rudolph songs rather than Jospeh and Mary stuff, but still there's ample tolerance over here. And when it was UAE National Day the other week, they all dressed in red white and green and did stuff for that. Plenty of cross cultural awareness and celebration. As it should be.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Not calling you a liar, but being a school governor and reading all the gumph that comes from local and central government, there is nothing whatsoever that precludes religious plays or festivals being celebrated.

Is this a local school? Was it a decision taken by the governors?

As for offending Muslims, Jesus was a Islamic prophet.

Think it was a school decision, don't think many parents were upset as they just did another play, off top of my head, think it was jack and the beanstalk, everyone was happy with it

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just got back from seeing my boy "starring" as a mouse (he is in reception) which was a bit of a downgrade as in his last year at pre-school he was an innkeeper. I have to say as nativities go this one was brilliant. They started with a Bowie song and the mice got to do a boogie to the Motown classic "Baby Love". Quite amusingly the wise men had gifts, the gold being a gold box, the frankincence being a pot and the myrrh being a photo of Ollie Murs. It made me LOL although now I think about it they could have photoshopped a picture of Mr Butcher from Eastenders with a joss stick and used that instead of the pot.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Daughter 1: Aunty Linda
Daughter 2: Mouse
Son: Owl

:lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Think it was a school decision, don't think many parents were upset as they just did another play, off top of my head, think it was jack and the beanstalk, everyone was happy with it

So your first post is contradicted by your second. In an attempt to stir up a bit of debate on here, you state they don't do nativity plays because it may offend Muslim families. But clearly, a decision was taken on a multi-cultural, multi-religious basis that no religious celebration would take place as it might make Jewish, Hindu, Muslim or whatever religious denomination that doesn't celebrate a particular religious celebration uncomfortable.

That is totally different to what your first post implied, hence someone like @grannyweatherwax who clearly knows what they are talking about jumped on your case.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
So your first post is contradicted by your second. In an attempt to stir up a bit of debate on here, you state they don't do nativity plays because it may offend Muslim families. But clearly, a decision was taken on a multi-cultural, multi-religious basis that no religious celebration would take place as it might make Jewish, Hindu, Muslim or whatever religious denomination that doesn't celebrate a particular religious celebration uncomfortable.

That is totally different to what your first post implied, hence someone like @grannyweatherwax who clearly knows what they are talking about jumped on your case.

I said they didn't do a nativity Play, so they did jack an beanstalk instead

Last time I checked, a nativity play was about Mary and Joseph, not a kid named jack trying to climb up a beanstalk

Not sure how I contradicted myself

If I said they never did a nativity or a lay, then said that, I could understand, but I never, so chill

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
I played a sheep circa 1990. Stole the show.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I said they didn't do a nativity Play, so they did jack an beanstalk instead

Last time I checked, a nativity play was about Mary and Joseph, not a kid named jack trying to climb up a beanstalk

Not sure how I contradicted myself

If I said they never did a nativity or a lay, then said that, I could understand, but I never, so chill

You actually stated..."my mates kids school doesn't do the nativity...as it may offend Muslim families"

Why did you say that at all, if even now a few hours later you're suggesting it's not even a reason!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here