Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NASA debunks 2012 myths

alidsalbern

Sep 30, 2009
HI Everyone,

The people making up the wild and crazy claims about "doomsday" in 2012 are grifters and liars. Some want your money (BUY MY BOOK!) and some just want notoriety. The claims themselves are nonsense. It is INSULTING to anyone with even a High School education in science that these people are allowed to espouse and print such ridiculous lies.
If I claimed that tomorrow the Sun would turn pink and bunnies would take over the world, you might suggest that I seek psychological help, yet when someone like Patrick Geryl says that "streams of positive ions will push the South Pole over making the Earth flip" like a pancake... or a crepe (he IS Belgian), you hardly EVER hear anyone say "Is he forgetting to take his meds?" It is just silly!
So often we hear people say "scientists say..." or "look at the evidence that civilizations collapse every 3600 years" when NOT ONE of these people have ever even taken a science class. That much is obvious. Please disregard any such statements and only treat claims with some citations as at all likely. For example there is a nice NASA site in astrobiology which debunks nearly ALL the 2012 claims very neatly... and don't forget Penn & Teller! They show, with a healthy dollop of humor, just how laughable all the hoaxers are.... I LOVED the guy with the styrofoam balls on the strings!
Don't worry about 2012. Worry about your kids growing up to be sociopaths or not growing up at all simply because you forget to buckle them in your car. Worry about the government selling mining rights to big oil companies that want to drill for Natural Gas within a mile of old atomic bomb tests. (If you live in Colorado... switch to electric stoves)
There are plenty of real things to scare you in this world, you don't have to make anything scary up.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
If the world is going to end in 2012, how come we're wasting all this money on a new stadium?

BLOOM OUT!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
İbrahim Tatlıses;3143500 said:
Have you got a link where they have debunked the myth?

Polar shifts are going to happen, but something the conspiracy theorists neglect to mention is that the process takes thousands of years and can't occur on a single day.

The Mayan prophecies make for interesting reading though - they were clever bastards they were. They had a fantastic calender based on the stars and planets which involved an understanding of cosmology unheard of at their time. The calender ends in 2012 and the theorists suggest that it's going to result in some catalclysmic event, such as a collision with the fictitious planet "Nibiru". Scientists remind us that a planet on such a collision course would already be clearly visible from earth with the naked eye.

So yeah, load of bollocks although interesting reading.

A calendar ends - not the calendar ends. They simply go on to the next one.

The 'cataclysmic' stuff is a 20th century invention made up new age wankers (and other assorted tossers you'd never tire of smashing their faces in with a large shovel) and the like, in order to... sell books. Fuckwits.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
HI Everyone,

The people making up the wild and crazy claims about "doomsday" in 2012 are grifters and liars. Some want your money (BUY MY BOOK!) and some just want notoriety. The claims themselves are nonsense. It is INSULTING to anyone with even a High School education in science that these people are allowed to espouse and print such ridiculous lies.
If I claimed that tomorrow the Sun would turn pink and bunnies would take over the world, you might suggest that I seek psychological help, yet when someone like Patrick Geryl says that "streams of positive ions will push the South Pole over making the Earth flip" like a pancake... or a crepe (he IS Belgian), you hardly EVER hear anyone say "Is he forgetting to take his meds?" It is just silly!
So often we hear people say "scientists say..." or "look at the evidence that civilizations collapse every 3600 years" when NOT ONE of these people have ever even taken a science class. That much is obvious. Please disregard any such statements and only treat claims with some citations as at all likely. For example there is a nice NASA site in astrobiology which debunks nearly ALL the 2012 claims very neatly... and don't forget Penn & Teller! They show, with a healthy dollop of humor, just how laughable all the hoaxers are.... I LOVED the guy with the styrofoam balls on the strings!
Don't worry about 2012. Worry about your kids growing up to be sociopaths or not growing up at all simply because you forget to buckle them in your car. Worry about the government selling mining rights to big oil companies that want to drill for Natural Gas within a mile of old atomic bomb tests. (If you live in Colorado... switch to electric stoves)
There are plenty of real things to scare you in this world, you don't have to make anything scary up.

So what's your opinion on Glenn Murray then

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Does this guy honestly believe we are all sitting here fretting about yet another "end of the world" prophecy thats apparently doing the rounds (no I'd never heard this one either). Are we all going to collapse in blissful relief now that aflidsalbern has arrived here with his wonderful assurances.

The internet is a marvellous thing, except for the worldwide platform it provides for utter tools likie this.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Does this guy honestly believe we are all sitting here fretting about yet another "end of the world" prophecy thats apparently doing the rounds (no I'd never heard this one either). Are we all going to collapse in blissful relief now that aflidsalbern has arrived here with his wonderful assurances.

The internet is a marvellous thing, except for the worldwide platform it provides for utter tools likie this.
I must admit the world ending in 2012 was a new one on me; where's it come from? However it's a bit like bird flu, swine flu, global cooling, global warming, Old Mother Shipton saying the world will end in 1981, Nostradamus, the Book Of Revelations, the sun exploding into a supernova, etc, etc. Eventually ONE of these theories will be correct and then one set of doomongers will be able to say "I told you so!" (Only they won't because we'll all be dead but you know what I mean).

I'm FAR more worried about getting three points on Saturday than anything that our new friend has pointed out. I wonder what the next doomsday scenario will be?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Oh no! Not another one! I've only just crawled out from behind the sofa after the 09:09:09 09/09/2009 prophecies.

Oh well, back I go.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
when someone like Patrick Geryl says that "streams of positive ions will push the South Pole over making the Earth flip" like a pancake... or a crepe (he IS Belgian)....

He's from Antwerp. So he wouldn't say crepe at all. He'd say pannekoek.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
*suspects the start of an ad campaign for Roland Emmerich's new film 2012*

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I watched a documentary about 2012 Doomsday on The History Channel. They were saying there are several cultures who's calendars indicate that 21 Dec 2012 is D-Day - the Mayan civilisation is one of them.

Given that calendars have changed - the Gregorian, Julian etc etc - that's very specific, but the gist of it involves the earth being thrown off its orbit by either an object from outer space crash landing here or some sort of weight shift caused by polar ice caps melting.

The Millennium spawned many of these books and the consensus was the world would end somewhere between the dates 2006-2012, therefore if we ARE lucky enough to make it to New Years Eve 2012 then it will be time to party over like it's 1999...

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If its december 2012 at least we get to see the London olympics a few months earlier. Its not all bad is it ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The idea of Posive/Negative ions " flipping " the Earth over is rubbish. The magnetic poles can shift and have done hundreds of times over the course of our geological history.. see Paleomagnetism in Wikipedia or do an OU course like me.

The real "Killers" will either be a unexpected cataclysmic "planet killer" strike by an astral body or a sudden 'flu virus which can suddenly multiply and sweep around the world quickly before immunity/or a vaccine can occur.

In the end, something WILL get us but, its impossible to predict how and when. It's best not to worry as we can't do anything anyway !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
İbrahim Tatlıses;3145898 said:
Hasn't this just happened?

sorry, a "Fatal" flu virus..... note the difference

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I watched a documentary about 2012 Doomsday on The History Channel. They were saying there are several cultures who's calendars indicate that 21 Dec 2012 is D-Day - the Mayan civilisation is one of them.

Given that calendars have changed - the Gregorian, Julian etc etc - that's very specific, but the gist of it involves the earth being thrown off its orbit by either an object from outer space crash landing here or some sort of weight shift caused by polar ice caps melting.

yeah its a bit of a spanner in the works, and thats before considering since we dont actually know the exact year some Jewish hippy was born. we could be years out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here