Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mystery Hour... Thread (I WANT TO KNOW...)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
In homage to my favourite hour of radio in the week..

Mystery Hour: How Much Does 1 Cost To Make? | LBC

Thursday 12-1pm on LBC with James Obrien....

Every week, James O'Brien enlists the help of LBC listeners to solve the questions you've always wondered the answer to.

It's all about shared human knowledge

If this works this thread should be filled with an abundence of knowledge...

When answering a question we need to know your "qualificaton" (how do you know the answer)...

e.g.

Question: How much does it cost to make a pound coin?

Answer: Each pound coin costs 12p. That’s on average, as in the years they make more, it costs less per coin

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I would like to know.... and have never found the answer on the net...

If we evolved from apes/primates.... Why do they still exist??

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Because the one's that evolved would've been in a separate population (not inter-breeding) in a separate location, so they evolved until becoming a separate species. I have a masters in environmental science.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Because the one's that evolved would've been in a separate population (not inter-breeding) in a separate location, so they evolved until becoming a separate species. I have a masters in environmental science.

I do find it slightly unusual that there are not more species around that are sort of....halfway between the common ape and man. Surely they would be better adapted to the world than a monkey is, being a bit human and all that?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I want to know:

Why is the standard image of the earth always portrayed with us (the UK) amongst many others in the top half and Australia, Argentina, South Africa in the bottom half?

How do we know it's really that way up and that Antarctica isn't actually on top? I'm guessing it's stems from the national origins of the first map makers, but surely in space, there can't really be any up or down, so you could portray the globe in any orientation you wanted?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I do find it slightly unusual that there are not more species around that are sort of....halfway between the common ape and man. Surely they would be better adapted to the world than a monkey is, being a bit human and all that?

Thanks for the answer but as Mellotron said... why are there not species half way through evolving it all seems all to clean cut...

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I want to know:

Why is the standard image of the earth always portrayed with us (the UK) amongst many others in the top half and Australia, Argentina, South Africa in the bottom half?

How do we know it's really that way up and that Antarctica isn't actually on top? I'm guessing it's stems from the national origins of the first map makers, but surely in space, there can't really be any up or down, so you could portray the globe in any orientation you wanted?

I have heard this funnily enough on Mystery Hour onces before... i think it is down to the main powers of the sea back in time Spain, Portugal Britain producing the first maps however i cannot go definitive on this answer... more of a guess

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thanks for the answer but as Mellotron said... why are there not species half way through evolving it all seems all to clean cut...

To be fair we are ALL constantly evolving. We haven't finished.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So which way up ARE we then?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair we are ALL constantly evolving. We haven't finished.

Oh I don't know. There's a few on here that might test that theory.

I'll say it then. Palace?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Although true, the presumption in the question is not true. The primates that we evolved from do not exist any longer. The primates of today have, like us, also evolved from primates of millions of years ago. They just haven't evolved in the same environment as we have.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There were other species, such as Neanderthals, that have died out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I want to know:

[yt]n8zBC2dvERM[/yt]

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Re the evolution question, the reason there are still apes and monkeys is because we shared a common ancestor with them, we're not descended from them. To use a rather tortured analogy, they're our cousins, not our grandparents.

My qualification for knowing this is that I vaguely listened to my biology teacher at Blatch, sometimes.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I want to know:

But all of the country names would be upsidedown

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
If Australia was populated through ex english convicts (other than the aborigenes) How come they have an australian accent... why don't they all have english accents??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here