Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My Grandad has just died.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
A top bloke who was 86 and a big Albion fan. I saw him a couple of days ago and he asked how Poyet was getting on. I showed him a pic of Falmer and we discussed getting him there in a year or so.

He was a BIG drinker and I shall leave you with this story that has gone down in folklore in our family.

It's April 1983 and he and my old man have set of for Highbury for the semi final stopping at many boozers on the way. By the time the game kicked off my Granddad was in a real state. So pissed in fact that when he headed off at half time to find a bar he got lost, thought the game had finished and drove home...leaving my dad at the stadium none the wiser.

I was only 10 at the time but do remember my dad not being best pleased when he rolled in late that night.

RIP old fella. You'll be missed x

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sounds like he lived life to the full and thats all you can ask for. Remember the good times.

:angel:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry to hear mate - yet another who won't see the finished Falmer - I hope Belotti / Archer / LDC are pleased with their work...

86 is a good knock - my granparents were all a similar age when they went which was some comfort to me - you know people of this age have enjoyed life...

RIP from one Albion to another

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
:down: Another albion fan robbed of the right to watch us run out at Falmer for the first time. Very sad indeed. Thoughts are with you and your family mate. I guess he will have the best view of the lot of us though.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Sorry to hear mate - yet another who won't see the finished Falmer - I hope Belotti / Archer / LDC are pleased with their work...

86 is a good knock - my granparents were all a similar age when they went which was some comfort to me - you know people of this age have enjoyed life...

RIP from one Albion to another

Great way to go aswell.

A nurse took him his evening cuppa and he asked for a cheeky extra sugar. She went back in 10 minutes later and he'd gone.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fair play! Hope the funeral goes OK and your parents are OK.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
sorry to hear your sad news, i never knew either of my grandfathers one dying 20 years before i was born the other in WW2 but i know from friends that it can be special bond between grandfather and grandson, it's an age old saying but at least he had a good innings.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Think about him when you are at your first match at Falmer!

I was very much like him at Highbury, I don't really remember much after about 12:00 untill mid way through the match when i sobered up while swaying in the clock-end crowd. At least I was on the train though.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I reckon I would have gone on well with your Grandad.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
RIP , shame on LDC to deprive yet another fan from watching the stripes at Falmer.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Sad news.

A story that has been repeated amongst me and so many.

They'll be looking down when Falmer arrives

Lest we forget

steve-c

sorry to hear your sad news, have a few moments to remember him at falmer, like so many of us will be , so many albion fans have passed on, but will be remembered that opening day at falmer .:angel:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here